Sign in with
Your question

Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3P - missing pin in cpu array?

Last response: in Motherboards
January 16, 2013 6:39:16 PM

So I bought a used GA-P35-DS3P thinkingh it had everything I would need for my htpc. Butm on building the board for testing, it wouldn't power on. The psu would power up, the cpu fan would jerk and then the cpu would go off again, then do the same thing again, and again on a loop.

I checked thpsu, cpu, memory and video card on another board, asll working fine.

Sp I had a good look at the board and noticed that there was what appeared to be a missing pin from the cpu array. I had to get a magnifying glass to get a proper look, but it appears there is a little pointed gold contact going to where the pin should be, but the pin itself is missing.

I've checked the array against another 775 socket and it has all pins (intel DQ965GF), so I was thinking the Gigabyte socket may be missing a pin to allow overclocking or whatever, but Gigabyte say that all pins should be present otherwise the board will not boot-up. The board is out of warranty and they have refused point blank to repair it. The original owner has refunded my money and doesn't want the board back.

Has anyone else got experience of this board that may be able to shed some light on the missing pin on the array?
a c 220 à CPUs
a c 184 V Motherboard
January 16, 2013 7:06:55 PM

There really is not much you can do. If the board is missing a pin, it will not work unless you are able to repair the board yourself. If the pin is near the edges of the array I would have given it a try, but near the middle, don't bother.
January 16, 2013 8:20:57 PM

I'm bewildered as to how the pin would have come out, as they're inserted from the bottom. If I managed to take a pin from an old board would it be possible to put it into the free hole and thus repair the socket?
Related resources
a c 220 à CPUs
a c 184 V Motherboard
January 16, 2013 9:11:36 PM

mickrick said:
I'm bewildered as to how the pin would have come out, as they're inserted from the bottom. If I managed to take a pin from an old board would it be possible to put it into the free hole and thus repair the socket?

Its not that simple. You would need remove the whole socket from the board and work from their. The chances of you repairing it successfully are slim to none. I have managed in on a 1155 socket board before. But just once out of 6 tries.
January 17, 2013 11:44:07 AM

Just as I thought. Still at a loss as to how the pin would've come out though.
!