Which upgrade would increase my performance the most?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cameltotem1

Honorable
Mar 12, 2012
I'm currently running a AMD 955 black edition @ 3.6 and a m4a79t deluxe mobo, and two ati 4890's in crossfire. I currently have 400$ to upgrade either one. Thanks...

jackstack10

Honorable
Mar 11, 2012

Well an idea that u could do is upgrade the graphics cards to two 6870s for around 340 without tax. Hope this helps! Look up videos if u need

whatsthatnoise

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2011
Get a fast GPU and crossfire/sli later if you must. I personally had bad experiences with multiple cards, especially if you don't use high end cards in the first place. Driver support, game support, micro stuttering ... whatever.

In short don't get a 6870, get at least a 7870/GTX 570.

Yeah, but his CPU will be lacking soon, but his GPU set up will hold up for a little while longer. I would just upgrade the GPU when needed, but the CPU to a IB when it comes out soon.

You got a source for that information? No? Thought so?

OP HD7950 should be in range of your budget especially if you sell the 4890's but waiting till the 23rd (apparently) will probably help to shake up the prices.

whatsthatnoise

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2011
If a GTX 560 TI, than one with 448 cores, almost a 570, really good price/performance ratio.

I would just wait that ~month for Ivy Bridge, worst case scenario is it would cost a lot and Sandy Bridge prices don't change.

More likely it will cost about the same and Sandy Bridge prices will fall, maybe not at once though. :)

Again, if you want to upgrade right now, I suggest you go for a top tier GPU and get the CPU later. Upgrading the CPU right now won't improve much (performance wise), while your current CPU should be able to handle a good GPU.

cameltotem1

Honorable
Mar 12, 2012

Yeah i'm gonna just wait. I've been reading around and that sounds like the best option.

i think he is looking for improved gaming performance. SSDs will help him load maps quicker and things like that, but won't give him the extra FPS he wants.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS