Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Which upgrade would increase my performance the most?

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Performance
  • AMD
  • Product
Last response: in CPUs
March 12, 2012 4:22:55 AM

I'm currently running a AMD 955 black edition @ 3.6 and a m4a79t deluxe mobo, and two ati 4890's in crossfire. I currently have 400$ to upgrade either one. Thanks...

More about : upgrade increase performance

March 12, 2012 4:25:09 AM

cameltotem1 said:
I'm currently running a AMD 955 black edition @ 3.6 and a m4a79t deluxe mobo, and two ati 4890's in crossfire. I currently have 400$ to upgrade either one. Thanks...

Well an idea that u could do is upgrade the graphics cards to two 6870s for around 340 without tax. Hope this helps! Look up videos if u need
Score
March 12, 2012 5:35:56 AM

If A video card is a better upgrade I'll probably wait for the 7870.
Score
Related resources
a c 127 à CPUs
a b À AMD
March 12, 2012 5:39:11 AM

Yes the GPU would benefit you the most.
Score
March 12, 2012 6:24:09 AM

jimmysmitty said:
Yes the GPU would benefit you the most.

Any clue on the release of the new nvidia cards?
Score
March 12, 2012 2:12:43 PM

cameltotem1 said:

they are going to be very expensive, if u really want a good card grab a 7970 right now for about 550$
Score
a b à CPUs
March 12, 2012 3:09:35 PM

cameltotem1 said:

Rumor has it they'll be announced (paper launched) today. With stock maybe in 2 weeks.

Either way it should help reduce prices.
Score
a b à CPUs
March 12, 2012 3:12:48 PM

I would say grab a new CPU and some more RAM if you have less that 8gb. You have two hd4890s, which is still pretty good. That beats a lot of single card set ups.
Score
a b à CPUs
March 12, 2012 3:58:37 PM

Get a fast GPU and crossfire/sli later if you must. I personally had bad experiences with multiple cards, especially if you don't use high end cards in the first place. Driver support, game support, micro stuttering ... whatever.

In short don't get a 6870, get at least a 7870/GTX 570.
Score
a b à CPUs
March 12, 2012 3:59:03 PM

Quote:
they are going to be very expensive, if u really want a good card grab a 7970 right now for about 550$

I doubt that alot. They will have prices that fit their performance relative to other cards on the market otherwise nobody will buy them
Score
a b à CPUs
March 12, 2012 3:59:58 PM

whatsthatnoise said:
Get a fast GPU and crossfire/sli later if you must. I personally had bad experiences with multiple cards, especially if you don't use high end cards in the first place. Driver support, game support, micro stuttering ... whatever.

In short don't get a 6870, get at least a 7870/GTX 570.

Yeah, but his CPU will be lacking soon, but his GPU set up will hold up for a little while longer. I would just upgrade the GPU when needed, but the CPU to a IB when it comes out soon.
Score
a c 83 à CPUs
March 12, 2012 4:19:57 PM

jackstack10 said:

You got a source for that information? No? Thought so?

OP HD7950 should be in range of your budget especially if you sell the 4890's but waiting till the 23rd (apparently) will probably help to shake up the prices.
Score
a b à CPUs
March 12, 2012 5:05:35 PM

You could sell your old CPU ($50+), old motherboard, and hd4890s and buy a decent GPU like a GTX 560 ti or a little nicer like a GTX 570 and then a Sandy Bridge or IB CPU and board.
Score
a b à CPUs
March 12, 2012 5:19:03 PM

If a GTX 560 TI, than one with 448 cores, almost a 570, really good price/performance ratio.

I would just wait that ~month for Ivy Bridge, worst case scenario is it would cost a lot and Sandy Bridge prices don't change.

More likely it will cost about the same and Sandy Bridge prices will fall, maybe not at once though. :) 

Again, if you want to upgrade right now, I suggest you go for a top tier GPU and get the CPU later. Upgrading the CPU right now won't improve much (performance wise), while your current CPU should be able to handle a good GPU.
Score

Best solution

a b à CPUs
March 12, 2012 5:25:26 PM

Camel, I am in a unique position right now since I have a nearly identical system as you do (except I only have 1 HD4890). I'm sure you know that this setup can play pretty much anything out there with most of the goodies turned on and maybe a little AA. However, right now is a terrible time to purchase new parts with a lot of stuff going EOL and many new, expensive products entering the market. If you want to get something, right now, to improve performance, I would start with a solid state drive, if you don't have one. Crucial m4 128GB is a good place to start.

I would then wait for Kepler and IB to come out before doing much else. I'm not saying wait because I am endorsing Kepler or IB, I am saying wait because prices WILL be dramatically effected by the release in their respective sectors.

Kepler's release is going to be hindered by severe shortages, as many sources are reporting. I would snag an HD7870 or maybe even an HD7950 or HD7970 if the prices drop enough. Then you won't be fighting demand markup, which is likely going to occur for a few weeks if supply is going to be as limited as it seems to be. Not to mention there aren't really any blockbuster games coming out until D3 anyway in mid April.
March 12, 2012 5:30:49 PM

400 lottery tickets
Score
March 12, 2012 5:32:41 PM

iknowhowtofixit said:
Camel, I am in a unique position right now since I have a nearly identical system as you do (except I only have 1 HD4890). I'm sure you know that this setup can play pretty much anything out there with most of the goodies turned on and maybe a little AA. However, right now is a terrible time to purchase new parts with a lot of stuff going EOL and many new, expensive products entering the market. If you want to get something, right now, to improve performance, I would start with a solid state drive, if you don't have one. Crucial m4 128GB is a good place to start.

I would then wait for Kepler and IB to come out before doing much else. I'm not saying wait because I am endorsing Kepler or IB, I am saying wait because prices WILL be dramatically effected by the release in their respective sectors.

Kepler's release is going to be hindered by severe shortages, as many sources are reporting. I would snag an HD7870 or maybe even an HD7950 or HD7970 if the prices drop enough. Then you won't be fighting demand markup, which is likely going to occur for a few weeks if supply is going to be as limited as it seems to be. Not to mention there aren't really any blockbuster games coming out until D3 anyway in mid April.

Yeah i'm gonna just wait. I've been reading around and that sounds like the best option.
Score
a b à CPUs
March 12, 2012 5:44:58 PM

iknowhowtofixit said:

i think he is looking for improved gaming performance. SSDs will help him load maps quicker and things like that, but won't give him the extra FPS he wants.
Score
a b à CPUs
March 12, 2012 6:18:29 PM

HostileDonut said:
i think he is looking for improved gaming performance. SSDs will help him load maps quicker and things like that, but won't give him the extra FPS he wants.

I am well aware. But, thanks :D 

I have a C300 128GB (the predecessor to the Crucial M4). Despite have no effect on games, other than faster load times, it makes everything else feel so much more responsive.
Score
March 12, 2012 6:25:09 PM

Best answer selected by cameltotem1.
Score
a c 127 à CPUs
a b À AMD
March 13, 2012 4:56:38 AM

This topic has been closed by Jimmysmitty
Score
!