Sign in with
Your question

24 Pin Connector won't go in all the way?

Last response: in Motherboards
January 16, 2013 10:13:36 PM

Hey guys, this is the first time I've built a pc and I'm trying to connect the 24 pin connecter, but the 4 pin part only goes in half way? when i try booting the computer up all the fans run and everything looks fine but nothing shows up on the monitor, do you think the 4 pin is the problem? I'm using a Gigabyte GA-H61M-DS2 Motherboard.

More about : pin connector

a c 117 V Motherboard
January 16, 2013 10:29:27 PM

try to hold the 20+4 together(make sure the ones from the same cable as power supplies also have another 4/8 pin for CPU power as well).

If you missed the 4/8 pin cpu power(top near the onboard VGA connector), that may be your problem.

With the 20+4 held together gently rock the plug side to side as you plug it in. new stuff has very stiff contacts so may need a little force to plug in right(rocking seems to work for me).
m
l
January 16, 2013 10:43:40 PM

nukemaster said:
try to hold the 20+4 together(make sure the ones from the same cable as power supplies also have another 4/8 pin for CPU power as well).

If you missed the 4/8 pin cpu power(top near the onboard VGA connector), that may be your problem.

With the 20+4 held together gently rock the plug side to side as you plug it in. new stuff has very stiff contacts so may need a little force to plug in right(rocking seems to work for me).

i see what you mean, but how do you get the 20 pin part out? the clip seems like its locked in place. ill tinker with it a bit but if theres a trick that would be great.
m
l
Related resources
a c 117 V Motherboard
January 16, 2013 10:45:12 PM

It should have a clip on one side in the center that you press(it rocks so push the farthest part from the plug it self and it should open the part holding the plug on the board) and gently rock the plug free.

I am linking an image so you can see it in the center.
Click me!!!
m
l
January 16, 2013 10:55:45 PM

nukemaster said:
It should have a clip on one side in the center that you press(it rocks so push the farthest part from the plug it self and it should open the part holding the plug on the board) and gently rock the plug free.

I am linking an image so you can see it in the center.
Click me!!!

hmm i see that, but it seems like the clip is pushed up to the plug with no room to push it in. or am i missing something xD
m
l
January 16, 2013 11:28:29 PM

My bad, the clip was coming up and i managed to get it out with a ton of wiggling just as you said. thanks
!
m
l
January 16, 2013 11:35:05 PM

ok, new problem, when i boot it up the fans run for a few seconds and stop and start up again any idea why its doing that?
m
l
a c 117 V Motherboard
January 16, 2013 11:38:05 PM

I hope this helps.

EDIT, that was delayed, my bad.

Does the system still boot. My X58A runs the fans then stops it then it starts again part way into the system post.
m
l
January 16, 2013 11:44:37 PM

nukemaster said:
I hope this helps.
http://img560.imageshack.us/img560/3589/atxclip.png

EDIT, that was delayed, my bad.

Does the system still boot. My X58A runs the fans then stops it then it starts again part way into the system post.

It does not boot. the fans run for 4 or 5 seconds then stop and start again over and over. maybe its a loose connection?
m
l
January 16, 2013 11:59:13 PM

Ok, i took out one of the sticks of ram and now the fans run fine but no boot. the 4 pin power is in so what else could be the problem?
m
l
a c 117 V Motherboard
January 17, 2013 1:30:02 PM

Check these steps first to see if it is a common error since this is new for you.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-perform-ste...

The first image looks confusing, but you do need with the 24 and 4/8 pin connected at the same time

Also, trying the memory in another slot and using the onboard video after removing a dedicated card if you have one. many steps to check for problems.
m
l
!