Can a smaller wattage UPS works with a bigger wattage PSU system?

Status
Not open for further replies.

azrul

Honorable
Mar 9, 2012
Hi,

Im planning to use my old SSD and use the z68 Intel Smart Response tech. But then to maximize the performance, the settings need to be set up to maximize (risk data loss if the SSD died)

So, having a UPS should resolve this issue. Let say having a 400watt UPS to power up a 600watt PSU system. Would there be any issue? I have a moderate rig with the following spec :-

Asus p8z68-vlx
i5 2400 (OC'd / No voltage increase)
Corsair H60 Cooler
HD 6790 (OC'd / No voltage increase)
1x 500GB HDD
1x 60GB SSD
3 Fans running on Mobo output
3 Fans running on PSU output
DVD etc..

Would it work?

Solution
1st of all, make sure that 400 is W not VA. 400VA=250-300W. I made this mistake on my 1st PSU. The VA rating is always higher and it's relation to W is power factor. Of course, they don't measure it with todays 95+% PFC PSUs. So again, make sure you read the W, not VA.
2.My experience with APC (cheapest unit) is that as long as you have AC, nothing bad should happen. However, your UPS may continually beep with "overload"....that is if the AC fails, it will shutdown instead of switching to batteries. I don't know about other brands, especially cheaper ones.

As for power consumption, although your PSU is rated for up to 600W, reading your setup I don't think you will ever go above 300W. My i5-2500+5850, although stock, never got above...

mathew7

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2011
1st of all, make sure that 400 is W not VA. 400VA=250-300W. I made this mistake on my 1st PSU. The VA rating is always higher and it's relation to W is power factor. Of course, they don't measure it with todays 95+% PFC PSUs. So again, make sure you read the W, not VA.
2.My experience with APC (cheapest unit) is that as long as you have AC, nothing bad should happen. However, your UPS may continually beep with "overload"....that is if the AC fails, it will shutdown instead of switching to batteries. I don't know about other brands, especially cheaper ones.

As for power consumption, although your PSU is rated for up to 600W, reading your setup I don't think you will ever go above 300W. My i5-2500+5850, although stock, never got above 270W in Skyrim (that's when I bought my watt-meter).

Solution

azrul

Honorable
Mar 9, 2012

Thanks mathew7, I had checked and the spec is 400W. So from your explanation, I guess it should be ok for that. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.