Excuse me if this isn't the right section. I'm new.
A couple days ago, my computer started getting the blue screen of death with a SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION. In the past 2 days, it's stopped blue-screening and just locks up. The first BSOD's were when playing the video game Arma II. I experienced the BSOD-less lock ups while playing the games Arma II, Portal 2, Company of Heroes, and Minecraft.
1. I've heard the BSOD is there to prevent damaging the hardware/software. If it's gone straight to locking up, does that mean it's damaging my computer?
2. How do I fix it?
Here are my specs (built the computer myself):
- Motherboard: ASUS P8Z77-V Pro
- RAM: 4 4GB Crucial Ballistix Sport
- Processor: Intel Core i5 3570K @ 3.40 GHz (Ivy Bridge)
- Using the built-in video card on the motherboard
- Running Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
It could be a lot of diferent problems. Maybe state the error message and we could help you. But I'll try to help you anyway.
Firstly unplug all your usb devices then try to boot. If that doesn't help try reinstalling the os. Alternativly you could go into safe mode and try working there for a while. That way you can see if it's a driver related issue. If not then maybe your hdd is dying.
BSOD doesn't necessarily means that something is damaging your system.
Ok my computer just bluescreened again. The error was:
*** STOP: 0x00000050 (0xFFFFFA4143414340, 0x0000000000000000, 0xFFFFF80002CC3220, 0x0000000000000007)
Safe Mode isn't very useful, because it always happens when I'm running games, and those require the video card (which I believe is disabled in Safe Mode). The only USB device I have plugged in is my wireless keyboard and mouse sensor, and I've used the same keyboard and mouse on other computers and it works fine.