Metallo

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2011
Hi,

I have an old PIII which I recently loaded with W7 with the idea to run only one application:

CoreDRAW

The main PC configuration is below:
Midi Tower ATX 300W, Mainboard AOPEN AX34 S370 ATX, Intel PIII 1.0 GHz Memory 1,5GB SDRAM PC133, HD WD 120 GBHIS Excalibur Radeon 9600 – 256Mb - Fortron FSP300-60PN 300 Watt Power Supply

The main problem is:

Internet navigation is very slow, only possible with Chrome but very slow to open the pages.
CorelDRAW works fine but when I need to print it freezes.

W7 is a brand new installation and CorelDRAW too, no other applications, no antivirus, nothing that can slow down the old man.

Obviously something no longer works, therefore I wanted to find a P4 MB with an ISA Slot (because I have an AGFA Snapscan 600 scanner that needs it), that I could fit into my ATX and 'upgrade' the machine.

At the same time, I wanted to use my existing Excalibur Radeon 9600 – 256Mb and Fortron FSP300-60PN 300 Watt Power Supply.

Can you point me to the right direction, like, which MB I should consider and which CPU I should look at?

Thank you
Alex

InvalidError

Titan
I'm actually surprised you even have a P3 motherboard with ISA slots, even more so since only the last generation of P3 chipsets supported more than 512MB RAM... ISA slots were already almost history during the P2/PPro era.

If there were any P4 motherboards supporting ISA slots, I do not remember seeing any... ISA was almost two CPU generations discontinued by the time the P4 was introduced. Of course, some motherboard manufacturers slapping a PCI-ISA bridge on some of their boards is always a possibility.

InvalidError

Titan
Well, a P4 would not be much of a performance upgrade since you need a ~2GHz P4 to match a 1.2GHz P3T.

If you really cannot ditch/replace the AGFA, I think your best other option is to simply build a new PC for everyday use, boot your P3 when you need to use your scanner, copy the files to your new PC over the LAN and do the rest of your stuff from there.

Metallo

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2011

I have already 4 other up-to-date PCs at home, this is just because it is convenient to use for my other stand-alone applications from time to time, that's why I keep everything.

CorelDRAW works fluently but cannot understand why printing is an issue as well as navigation on the internet.

Cheers
Alex