Distinguished
Dec 3, 2010
Current build:

i7-950
ASUS Sabertooth X58 MB
GTX470 graphics
PSU Corsair 850TX - 850W

no overclocking, nothing exotic going on

After about 1 year of solid service, my system has started to sort of flicker (power-wise, I think). It was running fine, then suddenly I could see the led's of the case start to go on/off a few times before it turned itself off. Then a few seconds later it would try to turn on again on its own, but fails after a few more seconds (repeating a few times before finally just shutting down).

I thought I was buying one of the best PSUs at the time. But, now I wonder what is up. I was only browsing the web at the time (not even video).

Is this what a PSU failure looks like? I was expecting many years of service from this thing. After all, my old Dell never did anything like this for many years. I figured my own build should do at least as well.

Thanks for any assistance you can provide!

jonathanrhunter

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2007
Yeah, I'd check by using a PSU tester (they are cheap buy one). I'd also try what has been suggested and use another PSU if you have one to see if it makes a difference.

When I've had PSU failures it's caused my PC to power surge (power off power on) a few times in a row until it later died a few days after. If it's a PSU problem you should be seeing random reboots, typically when your at full-load playing games or something.

sm-rider

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2010
Thanks! I will give these possibilities a look. I already ordered a PSU tester. I don't have an extra PSU though (I'm not hard core like you guys, yet. I have bike parts strewn about though.)

I'll report back with what I find.

sm-rider

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2010
WTF!?! I got the PSU tester in the mail and tested the PSU this evening. All voltages were within range. I plugged the wires back in and it is suddenly working fine.

I guess I shouldn't complain.

Thanks all!

TRENDING THREADS