Sign in with
Your question

PSU suggestions for recent New build

Last response: in Systems
December 7, 2011 4:09:41 PM

Hello everyone. I have recently completed a new build and everything works fine except it seems that the PSU that came with my case isn't sufficient for my system. I will list all the specs below and would greatly appreciate any advice on what specific PSU to get for about 50usd.

win7 64

biostar n68s3+ with one stick of 4gb ddr3

ecs gt440 gddr5 1gb

seagate barracude 500 gb hdd 3.0g/s

lg dvd/cd combo 48x

amd athlon II X3 450 rana 3.2 ghz *not oc'ing

current PSU is rosewill 350w crap that came with r103a case

I am pretty sure it just needs a better psu. When I put everything together and ran it for the first time it worked great. Then about a week later I ran windows update and when I restarted I got no display. I also got one short beep and I could hear the windows loading sound in the speaker. All this leads me to beleive that the PSU is not sufficient to run the video card correctly. Thanks in advance as I have spent several hours looking over forums and PSU's.

I know the gt 440 requires 22A according to the manufacture page and my cpu's TDP is 95w. So I am estimating that I will need ~30A on the +12v rails but I am not exactly certain how it works out even after reading over several forums regarding 12v rails. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!
December 7, 2011 4:21:31 PM

Antec earthwatts 380D/430D
SilverStone lower end models with rebates are about $50
Same with XFX lower end models
Corsair CX500 as well

But generally if you are willing to go up like $20 the above brands offer even wider selection and quality
Also bringing in Seasonic as you hit the $70 mark.

In PSU's it's quite true that you do generally get what you pay for when going with reputable brands.
And the warranties usually reflect quality.

Also I would suggest that if you have a friend that has a spare psu to see if your problems disappear.

m
l
December 7, 2011 4:32:00 PM

rvilkman said:
Antec earthwatts 380D/430D
SilverStone lower end models with rebates are about $50
Same with XFX lower end models
Corsair CX500 as well

But generally if you are willing to go up like $20 the above brands offer even wider selection and quality
Also bringing in Seasonic as you hit the $70 mark.

In PSU's it's quite true that you do generally get what you pay for when going with reputable brands.
And the warranties usually reflect quality.

Also I would suggest that if you have a friend that has a spare psu to see if your problems disappear.

What else could be causing the 'no display'? I don't have any friends that have PSU's lying around. Also I have reset CMOS and I will get a display but the Time/Date is off in the BIOS. Voltages in the BIOS seem close to specs but are a little lower. For example, my RAM is 1.5v and in BIOS it shows 1.44v but it doesn't give me the option to change it. The main problem seems to be that there will be no display but everything will boot until I reset the CMOS. Then I will get display until I reboot again which I will have to reset CMOS again.
m
l
Related resources
December 7, 2011 4:56:21 PM

I can't find much forum help for the problem I am having. It seems to be the PSU in my book so thanks for the suggestion rvilkman, I think I am going with antec 430D with 430 watts of cont. power. Hopefully it will be enough and will fix my problem (I would need a new PSU anyway). Thanks again!!
m
l
December 7, 2011 5:01:26 PM

Unfortunately could be quite a few things. Can be a problem with the bios of the mobo for example.
So updating it might help.

Also if your mobo automatically unlocks extra cores from the CPU that might cause issues.

There is a troubleshooting thread which lists the "no video" cases, but since you do get video when you reset the CMOS, it might be one of the above cases.
m
l
!