Looking for wifi pnp!

trinaryatom

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2011
Not Sure if this goes here or goes in a different but I just wanted to ask toms hardware the following question.

I'm looking for a USB wifi adapter to piggy-back on another computer's internet connection. It's to cut down the use of mobile networks and give me a limitless Internet either at work or at home. I dont want a larger device or something that requires drivers. Seeing that would be a home only device.

(I want to avoid the need to install any drivers, thus "PNP". That was the condition of aggreement at my work.)

I'm looking for something cheap but effective. I'm looking for something to buy that makes sense. I don't want to pay for an item that has PNP all over it and is inappropriately priced. I'm sure you can understand my skepticism.

Here is the options I already found.
http://www.synetusa.com/

And the rest
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Delectronics&field-keywords=USB+wifi+hotspot&x=0&y=0

The computers required for it to work on. Vista. Windows Xp.

Solution
A network attached hotspot would be a better solution but the windy31N is not a bad unit if you have 32 bit windows. The default drivers didnt work with 64bit windows and I had to email them to get them *back then.

And although it will self install drivers you will still need to configure the hotspot.

A network attached access point wont need drivers either and will require the same setup all while providing better coverage, bandwidth, security, and reliability than a usb dongle.
it will still install drivers, if the machine is locked down and you are trying to circumvent it then this is generaly a bad idea.

does you laptop have wifi built in? why are you not using that?

I've got 2 3G usb dongles, both from O2, one is Pay as you go the other was contract, the contract one would install itself as id it were a CD drive, and then just work. The pay as you go one would require disabling of UAC, several reboots and was a pain in the nether regions. But both were PnP.

trinaryatom

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2011
Both home and work comps are desktops connected directly to cables. No wifi adapter.

The admin I work with wishes not to "muck" with driver install. Part of the aggreement we have is that as long as I can plug it in and he doesn't have to change any settings to compensate, then he's fine with it. I understand the fact that "PNP" still installs drivers, I'm looking for an automated/instant install much like how a mouse or a keyboard works. "Plug... And Play"

(I understand the first time connecting might take a second for the drivers to setup.)

trinaryatom

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2011
It's to cut down the use of mobile networks and give me a limitless Internet either at work or at home.

Mobile devices, to connect to limitless Internet.

For example; laptops, smart phones, work tablets, other wifi enabled web browsing devices.

Also I'll add that other co-workers are interested.

trinaryatom

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2011

I understand that, yes. Thus part of the need/want for USB PNP. I'm essentially giving myself the ability to use Internet in idle locations of which I have accesses to a computer. Along with letting others use it as a bonus when I'm around.

To clarify and specify my question; What item/brand is best suited for this task. Do any of y'all have an favorites? Do any of y'all have experience with this?

I am asking purely for opinions of devices.

trinaryatom

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2011
Ok, seriously? Is anyone going to help me or interrogate me? 13thmonkey if you already know the question or the style of the question then why do you keep asking questions? Or rather, adding another statement with no answer.

(please don't answer that, it was rhetorical)

Even if you didn't understand the question fully but understood what I was looking for, why do you keep pushing this and not helping?

I in no way mean any harm, I'm just seeking opinions or insightful knowledge. Not to answer questions only to have another question after that.

OK, Right, here is the way it is.

Your original question was so poorly phrased that no-one would have understood what you wanted to do.

My questioning of you has expanded on the question so that now we have a good question that relates to what you wanted, my final post has put that in a really simple sentence so that those that know what they are talking about will recognise the question and be able to answer it.

I'd suggest you change the title of your thread so that the word hotspot is in there somewhere again so that the right people can find it.

All of this is how people help people, they find out what they actually want, both parties make sure that they are talking about the same thing and then answers are provided. It requires questioning.

Now I've tried to help you a bit more here, by suggesting how to make your question more obvious out of the 1000's of threads on here, and keeping it nearer the top of the list. If you don't like it, then tough.

By the way I don't know the answer now that I know what the question is.

ngrego

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2012
You won't be able to find any wifi dongle that will work without drivers I'm afraid. All hardware needs drivers so that the pc knows what the device you're plugging in is. If your Admin hasn't given you rights to install hardware on your pc you can't use USB.
What would work is a wireless router. Configured correctly, it will provide wireless access to phones, pads etc. If your Admin doesn't mind you could give it a try.

sorry to have wasted your time, you will sorely missed.

USB powered wifi routers might work, set the router up, power it with usb, should not need any drivers, just usb cable and a short network cable.

So sorry that we couldn't answer your question instantly using our psychic powers, please forgive us, we won't do it again, we'll jut ignore you next time as we won't understand what you want.

http://technabob.com/blog/2010/12/03/logitec-usb-powered-router/

ngrego

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2012
The term Plug and Play means that you don't have to manually install a driver, The driver is usually built into the device or the device uses Windows native drivers! Once it is plugged into your pc it will need Administrative rights to install either it's own built in drivers or Windows native drivers otherwise it WONT work!
All USB devices NEED drivers there is no way around it!!!!!

You don't understand, thats not what he wants, therefore you must be wrong :)

popatim

Titan
A network attached hotspot would be a better solution but the windy31N is not a bad unit if you have 32 bit windows. The default drivers didnt work with 64bit windows and I had to email them to get them *back then.

And although it will self install drivers you will still need to configure the hotspot.

A network attached access point wont need drivers either and will require the same setup all while providing better coverage, bandwidth, security, and reliability than a usb dongle.

Solution

popatim

Titan
Yes, if there is a strong network policy in place then theres probably a windows global policy in effect which disables the USB ports anyways. But from the sound of his description it didnt sound like it to me, just the boss didnt want the hassle of setting something up or risk having to call in a tech to fix a screwup.

trinaryatom

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2011

You are correct. The computer is maintained by a specific individual. He has had no need to prevent certain use of any kind on the computers. He simply wishes not to "muck" with it in the future. He said, "I don't mind just as long as the drivers install themselves." Thus looking for something PnP, or something close. I have no desire to find something to install myself, seeing that's the agreement he made with me (unless its one button).
The Network Admin is NEVER going to allow what he wants to do....lol
which can't be good from an admin point of view.
You guys are assuming, and yall know what assuming does ;P.

Its a small work place, which means there isn't a lot of people getting fired and hired. Is a matter and fact. I think its been the same team for almost 4 years.

Seeing as this is a small work place its easy to get to know each co worker. So there really isn't much a security risk. Besides, what would we steal if we (if any of us even can), had to "hack" our way to... what ever it is we would be stealing.

All of us already have access to the internet through there office computers with a full range of privacy.

As a side note: All of us will be using it. Except people outside our building. It will be password protected i guess. Also, keep in mind that a router is not entirely mobile. I am intending to take it home with me. Think of it as a form of work security ;). Although a futile attempt lol.