Sign in with
Your question

No POST screens, dead video card?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 11, 2011 5:31:16 PM

Hi guys, heres the problem, i just want a second opinion before i buy a new card.

Since i bought my radeon 4850, about 1 or 1.5 years ago, i would randomly get "Your graphic display driver has failed but has windows has recovered" errors where my monitors would go black for a few seconds, and then they would come back and windows would give me that error message. Normally I could carry on my merry little way after that. Very occasionally i would get a BSOD and need to reboot. Well over the past 3 months or so, they have increased in occurrence to about 3 or 4 times a day.

Yesterday i was watching some youtube and my computer froze completely no BSOD or anything . I rebooted. When Windows started to load after POST, i got some weird artifacts running horizontally taking up about half my screen and froze. I rebooted again, and this time no POST.

I took out my card and dusted it off, and plugged it back it, this time i got POST screens, but it froze again at the windows loading animation after POST. I rebooted and got no POST anymore. I've tried rebooting several times and i don't get POST screens anymore. The one time it did ask my if i wanted to run the windows recovery or start windows normally, but froze right there and i couldn't select anything.

Unfortunately I don't have another card or another computer that can take a PCIe x16 card so i can try to troubleshoot, and my motherboard doesn't have on-board graphics. I'm kinda of dead in the water.

I'm assuming my Graphics card took a dump. What are your thoughts?

AMD Ahtlonx64 x2 @ 2.4Ghz
Abit Kn9 ultra mobo
3.0GB ram
Radeon 4850 by MSI
Win 7x64
* no overclocking

Thanks
a b U Graphics card
October 11, 2011 6:08:06 PM

Yeah, Graphics RAM is screwed. You can try to bake it in the oven for a little while to try to resolder everything.... google it.

other than that a new GFX card is the way forward.
m
l
October 12, 2011 1:59:19 AM

WOW, I'll be damned....
i baked my card at 385 for 7 minutes, re assembled it and what ya know?
the thing works again!!!
Thanks for suggesting that, i probably wouldn't have tried it other wise.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
October 18, 2011 9:33:23 AM

Nice one dude. I am happy that it worked for you. It definitely pays to be a little adventurous sometimes....

m
l
!