EIST enabled, but not kicking in, please help me!

arjenboerdijk

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2011
Hello,

I've searched on Google on this subject, but couldn't find anything. Here's my problem. I've overclocked my i5 2500K to 4.7 GHz 1.4V, and I have Intel Enhanced Speedstep Technology (EIST) enabled in the BIOS. However, it's not kicking in at all, it just stays at 4.7 GHz all the time. Well, I do like to have it enabled, for a longer lifespan of the CPU, I only need that high MHz when gaming, not when browsing the net.
When I set the BIOS settings to default however, then EIST is kicking in, so there must be another setting that I've set wrong in the BIOS, that prevents it from kicking in or something.

Here are my pc specs:

Asus P8Z68-V Pro, i5 2500K @ 4.7 GHz ~1.4V, Mushkin 4GB DDR3 1600 CL6, EVGA GTX 580 Superclocked 1.5GB, OCZ 700W, Crucial M4 128GB.

Here are the BIOS settings:

AI Overclock tuner: X.M.P.
BCLK: 100.0 MHz
Turbo Ratio: by all cores
Multiplier: 47
Internal PLL overvoltage: Enabled
Memory Frequency: DDR3 1600
EPU Power Saving: Disabled
Load-Line Calibration: Extreme
VRM frequency: Auto
Phase control: Extreme
Duty control: Extreme
CPU current capability: 120%
CPU Voltage: manual mode
VCore: 1.4V
DRAM voltage: 1.65V
VCCIO voltage: 1.1V
PCH voltage: Auto
CPU PLL voltage: 1.9V
Spread Spectrum: Disabled

DRAM timing control:
6-8-6-24
Command Rate: Auto (1T)

CPU Power management:

Enhanced Intel Speedstep Technology: Enabled
Turbo Mode: enabled
(rest is all on Auto)

CPU Configuration:

Thermal monitor: Enabled
CPU ratio: Auto
Active Cores: All
CPU ID: Disabled
Execute Disable Bit: Enabled
Intel Virtualization Technology: Disabled
Intel Enhanced Speedstep Technology: Enabled
Turbo Mode: Enabled
C1E: Disabled
C3 Report: Disabled
C6 Report: Disabled

Perhaps one or two settings are wrong... I appreciate your help!

Greetings,
Arjen

Same for C3/C6.

-> You probably want to run by the Overclocking section of the forum and ask there about having C1E/C3/C6 enabled when overclocking as high as you've gone.

In any case - I'd start testing out at a lot lower overclock if you're wanting EIST/C1E/C3/C6 enabled.

Best practice is to disable EIST and C1E for top overclocks.

Want EIST and C1E on? TANSTAAFL

arjenboerdijk

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2011
Ok, I tried Enabling C1E, and it works. It drops the multiplier to 16X now. However, it does not drop the voltage. And as far as I know the only things at ages that CPU are voltage and temps, and not MHz. So, is there a way I can make it drop the voltage too while dropping the multiplier? Currently, my CPU Voltage is on Manual Mode...