Old (damaged) 8800 GT as physx card?

cps1974

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2009
I had the card in a Dell XPS 420, it's an OEM card - was a great little performer but something went on it and whenever i tried any 3d applications/movies it would just crash the system - likely I overheated some part (if not all the card) as there were very clear scorch marks on the inside of the case near the card, and they were not small lol

I upgraded the part down the ATI path and that's where that system now stays, in my front room for very occasional use.

what would the pros/cons be If I used the 8800 GT as dedicated physx card in my new system in addition to GTX 460 SLI

and if something on the card did blow (a) is it likely to be of any use as a physx card? (b) am I risking doing damage to my new system if trying this?

thanks
chaz

bucknutty

Distinguished
I don’t think you can damage the system with the old card, but anything is possible.

I don’t think you will get any lift over the 460 while using the 8800gt. Chances are it will just de-stabilize the computer and cause crashes.

Physix only works in the few games that use it and even then the amount of process power it consumes for the few little enhancements you get don’t seem worthwhile to me.

How is it you upgraded down the ATI path but have SLI 460s? lol.

Anyway, I agree with the above - if the card is toast, then that's that. Don't use it. SLI 460 should have more than enough power to play any of the PhysX games at max anyway.

cps1974

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2009
sorry it is because I have built a new and 2nd system myself

the 8800 GT came with a Dell XPS 420 (from Dell), it blew and I replaced with HD 4870, then upgraded to GTX 460. I took the GTX 460 (Gigabyte SOC awesomeness) out and built my new HAF-X system around it with all other parts being new and purpose bought.

After building the HAF-X system I dug out the boxed up redundant HD 4870 and popped it back in the Dell XPS 420 so I have a working spare (which can cope with COD zombies / BC2)

as I said earlier - this Dell machine now resides in the front room and is not used much (the HAF-X has wheels anyway)

I thank you all for the advice, the card will have a dignified send off after I perform an autopsy and remove her covers lol, unless anyone here has a use for it and wants to pay the postage?

thanks