Sign in with
Your question

First Time Builder with no clue

Last response: in Systems
December 7, 2011 6:22:45 PM

I am building my first computer. I have no idea about which parts are better than others and am incredibly knowledgeable about what I should or shouldn't buy. I have a large budget although not unlimited. Here is what I have so far...mostly from recommendations of others.

SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive
$150

two MSI R6970 Lightning Radeon HD 6970 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card
$780

ASUS P8Z68 DELUXE/GEN3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard with UEFI BIOS
$270

Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor
$320

COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 EVO RR-212E-20PK-R1 Continuous Direct Contact 120mm Sleeve CPU Cooler
$34

Let me know if these are horrible or good or overpriced etc. and I would also love to hear recommendations of other components I should buy instead/in addition to. Also, do you think I should get an HDD or SSD? Thanks in advance :) 

More about : time builder clue

December 7, 2011 6:30:13 PM

That's one heck of a build! Given your apparently high budget, I'd definitely invest more in better CPU cooling. Go for a Corsair H-series cooler.

I also assume you have RAM, a case, a PSU, etc. picked out already.

What are you trying to do with this build? What kind of monitors will you be running?

And finally, I personally find SSD's to be a waste of money. I dont' find the price worth the apprent speed gains. However, I'm confident that there are plenty of people who will vouch for SSD's over HDD's (budget permitting).
December 7, 2011 6:37:17 PM

jackofhearts495 said:
That's one heck of a build! Given your apparently high budget, I'd definitely invest more in better CPU cooling. Go for a Corsair H-series cooler.

I also assume you have RAM, a case, a PSU, etc. picked out already.

What are you trying to do with this build? What kind of monitors will you be running?

And finally, I personally find SSD's to be a waste of money. I dont' find the price worth the apprent speed gains. However, I'm confident that there are plenty of people who will vouch for SSD's over HDD's (budget permitting).

I do not have anything else picked out yet. I will be using this primarily for gaming and do not have any monitors picked out yet, but I was planning on getting two of them. Also, does anyone have input on a sound card? I do some work with digital audio workshops that I think a sound card would be useful for.
Related resources
December 7, 2011 6:51:51 PM

Follow the reviews on Newegg.com. However, I recommend you stay away from Creative cards.

You might also want to go with a more expensive single card that offers future expansion rather than two cards right off the bat. Maybe a 3gb GTX 580?
a c 122 B Homebuilt system
December 8, 2011 8:32:09 PM

Because this is your first build, look at the following threads while you are waiting for your parts.
Build it yourself:
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/274745-13-step-step...

And although this primarily a troubleshooting thread, the first part contains a checklist that will catch most noob mistakes:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-read-postin...

And I recommend breadboarding a new build:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/262730-31-breadboardi...

It doesn't take long, and it lets you test your parts before you install them in the case.
!