Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Upgrade to AM3+ or wait it out?

Last response: in CPUs
Share
March 12, 2012 12:23:12 PM

Please accept my apologies if their is a thread already discussing this (if so if anyone provides a link that would be great) let me first explain my situation, and make clear I am not an AMD fan-boy, I am purely on a budget so can only really opt for AMD. I was wondering with my current AMD Phenom IIX4 955 (currently on a DDR2 AM2+ motherboard) if its worth upgrading the mbaord and RAM to AM3+/DDR3 and 8GB of DDR3 RAM, with a view to replacing the Phenom X4 with possibly a cheap second hand Phenom X6 hexacore with a corsair H80 for a little overclocking (1090T, 1100T off ebay) or if its worth waiting for the PileDriver and its associated architecture. I would be looking to make the investment for at least 2 more years of mid to high end gaming at 1080p, with a graphics card upgrade half way through that 2 year timespan.

Thanks in advance for any help/advice anyone can offer!

More about : upgrade am3 wait

a c 159 à CPUs
a b À AMD
March 12, 2012 12:36:04 PM

Hi and welcome to Tom's forum.

At this points, I'd waiting for the new BD PileDriver. After that you can go with AMD AM3+ or change to Intel.
March 12, 2012 12:43:57 PM

Thank you for your prompt reply,

The Intel option seems possible but I would like to see if Sandy bridge core i5/i7's drop in price on release of ivy bridge. If they do then the Core I5 2500K would become an exciting prospect for a budget gamer like myself! I suppose it becomes that age old concern for us tech heads, you have to jump in eventually and accept theirs always newer products around the corner!
Related resources
March 12, 2012 12:52:27 PM

i have always used amd processors, right now i am using a 1100t, but i tried a 8150, it was disappointing because my 1100t at 4Ghz, 3200NB was faster than the 8150. (at 4.8 Ghz, 2400NB on 8150 it is faster but, but produces to much heat for a quiet computer. while i did not try 1.475 volts, is ut moot at this point, someday whem i get better cooling, better than (antec 920) i will try the 8150)

if you are using ddr2 ram, you will have to upgrade to ddr3... i am using a sabertooth 990fx, with a 1100t, and corsair 1866... (purchased sabertooth and ram for 955, then bought the 1100t.., so i replaced it all) should have gone intel.. I abhor say that you should go intel but the 2500 intel combo setup is faster than amd. period. i hate say this but, amd is a graphics/server company now... get the intel 2500 combo before intel returns to it's sleazy ways.. (already starting with the 3820... MB's start at 300 dollars for those processors..). keep the amd system as a memory of better times...
a b à CPUs
March 12, 2012 12:52:39 PM

Only look at AM3+ for extra features like more sata ports, more pci-e slots, better overclocking ect than for cpu. I made the mistake of building an 990FX rig thinking that BD was going to be good before it had released. No I didn't buy BD but using a 990FX board that costs $150 just to run a cheap P2 x4 820 with the cache fully unlocked wasn't the best use of funds.
a c 159 à CPUs
a b À AMD
March 12, 2012 1:13:35 PM

SB price will drop as soon as IB comes out to the market, that's sure. Now the question there will be if you go with SB or move on to IB.
March 12, 2012 1:17:54 PM

Halls,

I just recently did what your considering with my AMD Phenom II x4 965, It was worth the upgrade.

While I am not a Fanboy of either Intel or AMD. I always go for the best my money can buy and I am cheap...lol.

So as far as upgrades go. Work within your budget. Keep in mind that what ever mobo you upgrade to, make sure you can upgrade to a CPU that is 3x faster then your current CPU. Other wise it'll just be a waste of money.



a b à CPUs
March 12, 2012 1:34:07 PM

Yea um..... Either Phenom II highest end SIX core. Or Intel.

Well if you want the best out of your 955, a better Chipset might would help. But....I made a mistake getting Bull dozer. If Pile Driver becomes another FAIL. I don't forsee AMD attracting many more people after that. If i were you i'd wait and watch price drops for IVY, a Sandy Bridge I5 will be perfect. I will probably be getting either a SB I5 or a IB I5. Just all depends on pricing whats worth the Money. Bottom line, DOn't get Dozer. I have no info about Pile Driver but if its better than bull dozer then you may have something.
a b à CPUs
March 12, 2012 1:37:18 PM

I haven't had a distinctive purpose to upgrade my desktop for years (i7 in a work laptop) until BF3 came out so I picked up a 990FX and an 8150. If you don't need to pull the trigger, Piledrive procs should be coming out within the next few months and the performance is supposed to improve on the Bulldozer platform. Win8 is supposed to better utilize applications with multiple cores.
March 12, 2012 1:38:05 PM

the 955 is more than capable of handling pretty much anything you throw at it. i would wait and save up to see how pile driver performs and if it is up to par, then upgrade to it, but if not the 2500k will still be around. the performance gains per dollar spent wouldnt be worth it at this point, imo.
March 12, 2012 6:17:53 PM

Some great insights & advice from everyone here. Which has ultimately led me to a decision, I think I am going to wait it out until at least the ivy bridge release, in the meantime im going to invest in a corsair H80 which will allow me to push my 955 a little higher in clocks (hoping for 4GHz) for the time being, plus the H80 is something I can transplant to my next platform as well whichever way I decide to go!
a b à CPUs
March 12, 2012 6:46:29 PM

hallsworthdannyt said:
Some great insights & advice from everyone here. Which has ultimately led me to a decision, I think I am going to wait it out until at least the ivy bridge release, in the meantime im going to invest in a corsair H80 which will allow me to push my 955 a little higher in clocks (hoping for 4GHz) for the time being, plus the H80 is something I can transplant to my next platform as well whichever way I decide to go!


Good pick - I need to pull the trigger on either aftermarket water or air cooler for my proc too. I haven't felt motivated to tweak with the clock settings on mine yet. If there is an ASUS Sabertooth mobo when Ivy releases I would highly recommend it. I love that I can see temp settings for different areas of my case - helped me plan my case fans and see what to be mindful of when putting my proc through it's paces.
!