Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Computer boots, beeps, and reboots continuously

Last response: in Systems
December 7, 2011 6:32:28 PM

Edit: Nothing I tried worked so I ended up replacing the motherboard, since I needed my computer back up. That seems to have fixed my problems. For all of you who stumble across this in a desperate Google search, replacing the motherboard worked for me. Obviously you want to check off all troubleshooting first.

Hi, I’ll try and keep this short and to the point, but there’s a lot to say.

Background: My old computer was giving me problems a lot with an error sometimes referred to as the “pink screen of death” where the whole screen would artifact as soon as something needed to be rendered by the video card. I thought it was time for an upgrade, so I ordered a few new parts. A motherboard, cpu, ram, and a case. I kept my video card, hard drive, and powersupply from my old computer build. New computer works for a month, though I had to get past the pink screen of death every morning I started the computer (just like my old computer). Pink screen got really frequent, so I RMA the video card. New card has the same problem and tech support says to set my memory timings manually. I set them to what the memory manufacturer said at 9-9-9-24 (they were at 11-11-11-28). After nothing works I send in this card again to be replaced.

Problem: After I took out and shipped the card I come home to this problem booting up the computer (using integrated graphics so there is video). It starts, does a single beep, then I hear a click and it restarts. According to the motherboard manual a single beep means a successful start. Also, after going through the loop a few times a message popped up saying “The system has experienced boot failures because of overclocking or changes of voltages. Last settings in this page may not coincide with current H/W states.” The thing is, I’m not overclocking at all.

Troubleshooting steps I’ve tried:

• I set the memory timings back to auto, since I assumed this was the problem, same problem.
• Checked voltages on the power supply, all are within a normal range.
• Lowered memory frequency to half, nothing.
• Tried multiple different combinations of RAM slots. 1 stick, 2 sticks, all slots.
• Loaded fail-safe defaults in BIOS
• Loaded Optimized defaults in BIOS
• Took out the CMOS battery for about 30 seconds, put it back in. I got a new screen this time asking what profile I would like to use. I chose last successful boot or something. Same problem.
• Swapped out my current powersupply with another one I have, same problem.
• Unplugged the hard drive, this gave me “disk boot error” as it should. It didn’t auto restart with this error.
• Booted from the windows disk, but was unable to use any of the repair services. All of them would give different errors. I also did not see my windows partition on the list. I was able to browse the folders on the hard drive and open up command prompt though.
• Added in a video card (rather than integrated), same thing.
• Ran memtest86 overnight, no errors.

Notes:

• I can get to the BIOS, though I don’t see the bios splash screen. I have to mash delete.
• I have used this system without a video card before (using integrated)
• I have never overclocked the system.

Specs:

Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-Z68A-D3H-B3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

Memory: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL

Processor: Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 3000 BX80623I52500K

Hard Drive: Seagate 750gb SATA

Powersupply: RAIDMAX HYBRID 2 RX-730SS 730W ATX12V V2.2/ EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready Modular Modular LED Power Supply

Video Card: EVGA GTX 280, currently on integrated.

Thanks in advance!
a b V Motherboard
December 7, 2011 6:50:17 PM

Hmm, I don't like that you used the failing card in a new system. Your old system just needed your graphics card replaced and all would be well. However, your new components were forced to run with an unstable card for awhile and now it seems like one of the ram sticks is failing.

I'd activate your xmp profile for your ram to see if that will get a successful boot. Hopefully, some of your motherboard's default settings are not working with your ram and a quick profile change will fix the issue.
m
l
December 7, 2011 7:02:35 PM

Thanks for the response. It was definitely a poor decision to use that card in my new machine. I just went and tried the XMP and I set it to Profile1, since that was my only option. Nothing seemed to change. I personally think the motherboard is bad now, maybe I shocked it while taking out the card?

Edit: Also, I don't think the RAM is going bad because it passed an overnight test of Memtest86. If I may ask, what was your reasoning behind that?
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

a b V Motherboard
December 7, 2011 8:13:31 PM

My reasoning was that you hear the post but then get an instant reset. This is generally a memory issue. Your overclock error is also attributed to your memory and you stated that your motherboard is defaulting your ram to 11-11-11-28 which I also assume at 1333Mhz instead of 1600mhz 9-9-9-24. Setting the xmp profile will set your motherboard settings to the factory tested values thus if that worked then it was just a matter of your ram being at a setting that it didn't work under. If it didn't work than it's not the ram and you do have other issues.

That being said...It could be with the motherboard but that isn't easy to troubleshoot. You have to test everything else to ensure they work and then you can assume it was the board. If you have a flash drive you could try flashing an updated bios to your motherboard and see if that fixes whatever issue your motherboard is having.

You also mentioned that you can't see your windows partition...have you tried reformatting the hard drive and reinstalling windows or can you not even get to the windows load before the computer resets?
December 7, 2011 8:38:35 PM

Ok I see what you mean with the memory. If only I had the spare parts to test each component individually, that would make this a lot easier. I can boot from my windows disk and get to the "Install windows" screen, but don't see any drives listed (I actually was able to test this hard drive on another system and it is working). I wouldn't be able to format the drive. It's like something is corrupt.

I'm really thinking this is a motherboard problem because this came about in this order: Computer's working fine > Turn off and take out video card > Computer not working fine. I'm thinking I shocked something or maybe forgot to turn off the power switch on the power supply when I took the card out. At least for now I can stop stressing out because I recovered my data from the hard drive.

I'll try flashing the bios to an updated version and report back. Thanks again.
m
l
December 14, 2011 12:52:49 AM

Best answer selected by StealthSauce.
m
l
!