Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Closed

Regarding about power supply and casing air flow

Last response: in Components
Share
March 12, 2012 1:10:08 PM

hi there, my old rig that I re-assemble and put back together(my cousin use it now ) Is having a high temperature in the power supply its like 70c on full load gaming (I based the temperature from the temperature of the video card so its not accurate), is that normal?

specs:
intel q6600 2.4ghz
9800gt 512mb DDR3
4 gig kingston (3.50 memory in use)
cooler master 500watt extreme power plus
asus P5G41T-MLX3
140 gig seagate barracuda
LG DVD drive
and a old casing that I somehow putted some fans Picture here: http://imageshack.us/f/269/hereitisu.jpg/

temperature from speedfan

gpu temperature: idle 50c below /on load(game:assassins creed brotherhood) 70c is maximum , but usually it only stays at 66 below
system:47c and below , on full load 55? not sure...
CPU: idle 38c below /full load 55c and below
core 0: idle 44c below on load 67 c and below /core 1: idle 40c below/core 2: idle 41c below/core 3: 41c below
HD:46 c and below and on full load 49 and below
MB:45 on full load gaming 55 below



can someone tell me is it normal? and about the casing is the airflow fine?


thank you in advance!!!
March 12, 2012 1:13:39 PM

oh the power supply is sucking air and the air comes out in the bottom to the front of the casing (sorry for double post)
Score
0
a c 139 ) Power supply
March 12, 2012 1:20:27 PM

hushinimi said:
Is having a high temperature in the power supply its like 70c on full load gaming (I based the temperature from the temperature of the video card so its not accurate), is that normal?
Not correct methodology for getting PSU temps.
Hold your hand at the PSU exhaust outlet? How hot does it seem?
Can you hold your hand there for a full minute with no discomfort? It's probably not over 45C if you can do that.

Your system temps are 'OK'.

Score
0
Related resources
a c 274 ) Power supply
March 12, 2012 1:21:22 PM

Your psu exhaust is blocked by the metal plate you have it resting on.
Why don't you place it flat(horizontal) so the exhaust end is facing the front so-called outtake.
Other then that your temps are alright for a Frankencase.
Score
0
March 12, 2012 1:30:14 PM

@WR2
yes I can but its really hot compared to a 50c gpu at idle (i touched to see for my self) when the psu is at idle state, it doesn't heat up at all, its like 40c below
the psu is getting really hot when gaming at full load assassins creed brotherhood:1280x720 no vertical sync and multi sampling, shadows at 2 the rest at max, thank you for confirming about the system temperature

@davcon
there is no metal plate blocking the exhaust and I can't place it flat, I can only place it in a standing position, thank you for confirming the other temperature

:love: 
Score
0
a c 139 ) Power supply
March 12, 2012 1:33:18 PM

How old is that CM 500watt PSU?
Score
0
March 12, 2012 1:34:42 PM

WR2 said:
How old is that CM 500watt PSU?

2 months and 17 days ;)  I suspect it is sucking the hot air from the graphics card , but graphics cards has intake fans right? :??:  not sure... and don't know if that's possible
Score
0
a c 139 ) Power supply
March 12, 2012 1:38:38 PM

Cooler Master eXtreme Power Plus 500 W Power Supply Review

That only thing I can think of is that the exhaust pressure - PSU pointed down the way it is - is keeping it from 'breathing freely'.

As a test - can you mount the PSU outside the case in the cooler air and give it clear intake and exhaust path? How does it seem to like that setup?
Score
0
March 12, 2012 1:51:53 PM

WR2 said:
Cooler Master eXtreme Power Plus 500 W Power Supply Review

That only thing I can think of is that the exhaust pressure - PSU pointed down the way it is - is keeping it from 'breathing freely'.

As a test - can you mount the PSU outside the case in the cooler air and give it clear intake and exhaust path? How does it seem to like that setup?

thank you for the quick reply, I'll do that, please wait for my response , thank you :) 
Score
0
a c 274 ) Power supply
March 12, 2012 1:59:20 PM

So wtf is the silver thing made out of that your psu exhaust is resting on?
Score
0
a c 139 ) Power supply
March 12, 2012 2:02:28 PM

If you need to stack a few books next to the case for the PSU to rest so the cables can reach that would be OK.
Score
0
March 12, 2012 2:22:44 PM

@davcon
it has a opening beneath it so the heat come's out in the front of the casing (see picture in the first post)

@WR2
after playing for 30mins ,the psu is only warm compared before, looks like I need my boyfriend to cut the side of the casing for another 80mm or 120mm intake fan, would that be alright?
Score
0
a c 139 ) Power supply
March 12, 2012 2:28:07 PM

I don't think that would work.
I think the air is piling up at the exhaust point because it's pointed straight down at the bottom panel of the case. It's not letting the intake fan push the proper amount of air past the hot elements.

-> You'll need to come up with a way to keep the exhaust path more open.
Score
0
March 12, 2012 2:48:40 PM

WR2 said:
I don't think that would work.
I think the air is piling up at the exhaust point because it's pointed straight down at the bottom panel of the case. It's not letting the intake fan push the proper amount of air past the hot elements.

-> You'll need to come up with a way to keep the exhaust path more open.


is the airflow of this setup good for the psu exhaust? http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/689/photo0048fj.jp... (small picture:the opening beneath where the psu is resting , big picture: where the hot air goes out)
Score
0
a c 139 ) Power supply
March 12, 2012 2:51:51 PM

Testing will give you the answer. How does the exhaust temp feel?
Just warm? Probably OK.
Still hot? Need a Plan B
Score
0

Best solution

a c 139 ) Power supply
March 12, 2012 2:53:17 PM

Also - monitor your system temps as well.
A good PSU position can lower system temps a bit if the warm exhaust gets dumped outside of the case.
Share
March 12, 2012 2:53:54 PM

WR2 said:
Testing will give you the answer. How does the exhaust temp feel?
Just warm? Probably OK.
Still hot? Need a Plan B

in idle state, the air is a bit warm, I'll follow up a response after a few minutes of gaming, I'll let my cousin do the gaming lol...

thank you for the suggestion :love: 
Score
0
a c 139 ) Power supply
March 12, 2012 2:56:13 PM

No problem.... let us know how things work out.
Score
0
March 12, 2012 4:04:21 PM

WR2 said:
No problem.... let us know how things work out.


I don't know if what I did to my cousin's casing is good, but... the heat isn't hot anymore, its like the PSU is outside of the casing :bounce:  yay!!!

what I did... I leveled the casing a bit so that the heat from the psu exhaust gets out in front and in the bottom!!! :D 

cause you said ...
WR2 said:

A good PSU position can lower system temps a bit if the warm exhaust gets dumped outside of the case.


since there is only 2 options for the psu position first:facing the front of the casing, second: facing the video card, the first option is very bad, for obvious reasons, the intake air and the exhaust will just cycle around the psu lol!!!!!
i think heres why.I found it kinda funny the way i think :na:  sorry about that
first option:

psu intake <= front casing air in < front casing opening
^
psu exhaust(bottom)>up
(blocked bottom)

second option:
here it is http://img829.imageshack.us/img829/1348/yayl.jpg I messed up with paint lol..


theres no other good position besides the second option what I basically did is, I leveled the casing so theres room in the bottom ;) 


please correct me if I am wrong thank you



and here is the result of the temperature after fully loaded system in gaming http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/580/temperaturep.j... :wahoo: 

thank you so much!!! :love: 
Score
0
a c 139 ) Power supply
March 12, 2012 6:10:53 PM

I think the results are good.
Looks like you have a solution that's keeping the PSU temps under control.
If the testing was equal to prior runs your overall system temps might have dropped a bit too. For example: HDD- 49C to 47C
Score
0
March 13, 2012 12:08:04 AM

WR2 said:
I think the results are good.
Looks like you have a solution that's keeping the PSU temps under control.
If the testing was equal to prior runs your overall system temps might have dropped a bit too. For example: HDD- 49C to 47C


thank you, now I don't need to worry about my cousin, damaging the components :kaola: 
Score
0
March 13, 2012 12:08:19 AM

Best answer selected by hushinimi.
Score
0
a b ) Power supply
March 13, 2012 11:12:50 AM

This topic has been closed by Maziar
Score
0
!