Regarding about power supply and casing air flow

Status
Not open for further replies.

hushinimi

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2012
hi there, my old rig that I re-assemble and put back together(my cousin use it now ) Is having a high temperature in the power supply its like 70c on full load gaming (I based the temperature from the temperature of the video card so its not accurate), is that normal?

specs:
intel q6600 2.4ghz
9800gt 512mb DDR3
4 gig kingston (3.50 memory in use)
cooler master 500watt extreme power plus
asus P5G41T-MLX3
140 gig seagate barracuda
LG DVD drive
and a old casing that I somehow putted some fans Picture here: http://imageshack.us/f/269/hereitisu.jpg/

temperature from speedfan

gpu temperature: idle 50c below /on load(game:assassins creed brotherhood) 70c is maximum , but usually it only stays at 66 below
system:47c and below , on full load 55? not sure...
CPU: idle 38c below /full load 55c and below
core 0: idle 44c below on load 67 c and below /core 1: idle 40c below/core 2: idle 41c below/core 3: 41c below
HD:46 c and below and on full load 49 and below
MB:45 on full load gaming 55 below

can someone tell me is it normal? and about the casing is the airflow fine?

thank you in advance!!!

Solution
Also - monitor your system temps as well.
A good PSU position can lower system temps a bit if the warm exhaust gets dumped outside of the case.
Not correct methodology for getting PSU temps.
Hold your hand at the PSU exhaust outlet? How hot does it seem?
Can you hold your hand there for a full minute with no discomfort? It's probably not over 45C if you can do that.

Your system temps are 'OK'.

hushinimi

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2012
@WR2
yes I can but its really hot compared to a 50c gpu at idle (i touched to see for my self) when the psu is at idle state, it doesn't heat up at all, its like 40c below
the psu is getting really hot when gaming at full load assassins creed brotherhood:1280x720 no vertical sync and multi sampling, shadows at 2 the rest at max, thank you for confirming about the system temperature

@davcon
there is no metal plate blocking the exhaust and I can't place it flat, I can only place it in a standing position, thank you for confirming the other temperature

:love:

hushinimi

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2012

2 months and 17 days ;) I suspect it is sucking the hot air from the graphics card , but graphics cards has intake fans right? :??: not sure... and don't know if that's possible

hushinimi

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2012

thank you for the quick reply, I'll do that, please wait for my response , thank you :)

hushinimi

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2012
@davcon
it has a opening beneath it so the heat come's out in the front of the casing (see picture in the first post)

@WR2
after playing for 30mins ,the psu is only warm compared before, looks like I need my boyfriend to cut the side of the casing for another 80mm or 120mm intake fan, would that be alright?

I don't think that would work.
I think the air is piling up at the exhaust point because it's pointed straight down at the bottom panel of the case. It's not letting the intake fan push the proper amount of air past the hot elements.

-> You'll need to come up with a way to keep the exhaust path more open.

hushinimi

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2012

is the airflow of this setup good for the psu exhaust? http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/689/photo0048fj.jpg/ (small picture:the opening beneath where the psu is resting , big picture: where the hot air goes out)

hushinimi

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2012

in idle state, the air is a bit warm, I'll follow up a response after a few minutes of gaming, I'll let my cousin do the gaming lol...

thank you for the suggestion :love:

hushinimi

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2012

I don't know if what I did to my cousin's casing is good, but... the heat isn't hot anymore, its like the PSU is outside of the casing :bounce: yay!!!

what I did... I leveled the casing a bit so that the heat from the psu exhaust gets out in front and in the bottom!!! :D

cause you said ...

since there is only 2 options for the psu position first:facing the front of the casing, second: facing the video card, the first option is very bad, for obvious reasons, the intake air and the exhaust will just cycle around the psu lol!!!!!
i think heres why.I found it kinda funny the way i think :na: sorry about that
first option:

psu intake <= front casing air in < front casing opening
^
psu exhaust(bottom)>up
(blocked bottom)

second option:
here it is http://img829.imageshack.us/img829/1348/yayl.jpg I messed up with paint lol..

theres no other good position besides the second option what I basically did is, I leveled the casing so theres room in the bottom ;)

please correct me if I am wrong thank you

and here is the result of the temperature after fully loaded system in gaming http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/580/temperaturep.jpg/ :wahoo:

thank you so much!!! :love:

hushinimi

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2012

thank you, now I don't need to worry about my cousin, damaging the components :kaola:

Status
Not open for further replies.