andy3050

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2010
Hi, i've recently bought a coolermaster v8 for my home build. there had been no problems prior to installing it. i had to remove the motherboard to put the cooler on as its a weird design. i'm sure i had put everything back together correctly, but when i put the computer on and ran everests "strain test" (takes cpu to 100%) to look at the cpus temperatures the screen went green and then a few other colours before crasshing on a light blue colour.

i restet the pc and logged back in then left it to go get some food, came back and it had done the same this time stuck on a brown colour (everest wasn't running). since then i've had the computer on nearly an hour (20 minutes idle, 20 minutes a quick game of MW3 and the rest looking for a solution), nothing unusual has happened at all.

also i keep hearing a sort of slight popping noise as if air popping, could it be i have air bubbles in the thermal paste and they are escaping. i'm currently reading 36c on speedfan. i would have thought airbubbles would have made it higher.

and finally, i switched auto fan control off my gigabyte bios and have the CPU fan at around 1800RPM. is it better to have the bios control my fan speed or not.

thanks guys

andy3050

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2010
its an nvidia 8800GTS, i think its the only thing thats running hot in my computer at the moment (59c at the moment according to speedfan) tomorrow i will get my MSI 560Ti GTX OC which should run alot cooler... fingers crossed

crewton

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2011
It doesn't sound like the cpu is doing anything wrong. I don't know everest but if it also tests the gpu it could be that your card is getting old. The flickering colors and crashing sounds to be your card dying.

andy3050

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2010
could be, it has been runnig very hot lately, and when i first got MW3 it had it on full settings (which it should easily handle) and it was crashing after 5 minutes into the game. hopefully the new card sorts this out.

also the pooping noise was the case was on a wire and off ballance a bit so was slightly hitting the desk every time i was typing lol.

all i need to know now is how best to control my cpu fan, automatically by the bios or disable that option and tweak the fan control nob on the cpu itself

crewton

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2011
ooo sorry I thought I saw intel somewhere >.> if the temps aren't bothering you I wouldn't worry about it. The only time I can think of is if you are trying to sync your cpu fan to your exhaust fan on the case but that isn't even necessary.