[SOLVED] SB Live drivers enabled but not started..

vomacka

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2012
Hi everyone.

I just signed up and this is my first post here. I hope you can help me out with my sound card problem. :fou:

I am having the SAME problem with my sound card as this post: www.tomshardware.com/forum/37581-45-sound-driver-enabled-started The EXACT same issue with the drivers saying they are installed but not started. :cry:

I was going to apply the recommended change to the BOOT.INI, but I am hesitant. I have never messed with the BOOT.INI before and I don't want anything to happen to my boot by removing something.

Here is what my BOOT.INI says:

[boot loader]
timeout=5
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect /usepmtimer

Now, would there be any problems by removing the /fastdetect switch?

After removal, should the line look like this:

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /noexecute=optin /usepmtimer

I don't want to screw the BOOT.INI up. I will probably back up the file just in case.

I'm not even sure if this will fix the problem, but it is worth a try. Right?

Thanks for your help.

Scott

P.S.
Last week I posted this question on two other computer forum sites. A week later and still NO ONE has replied. That's why I signed up here. :wahoo:

vomacka

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2012
Forgot to mention that.

YES the on board audio is disabled. That was the first thing I did. There are also NO IRQ conflicts with other devices. No errors of any kind.

Scott

vomacka

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2012
I am sure the SB card works. I can play files using the "Creative Play Center" software. So I know the card works. I just get no Windows sounds. (Start-up, close windows, New Mail notification Etc.)

I will post a few screen shots of what my Sounds windows look like.

Thanks for your offer Colgeek.

Scott

vomacka

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2012
OK. Here are the screen shots.

Under sound playback, default device, ONLY get that "modem" driver. Nothing else. I disabled the modem and it went away, but it would not give my any other devices.
SoundsandAudioDeviceproperties.jpg

SBlivewavedeviceproperties.jpg

SBliveseriesgeneral.jpg

SoundsandAudiodevicespropertieshardware.jpg

I don't really know if making that change to the BOOT.INI would work, but anythings possible?

Scott

vomacka

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2012
No other options in ANY of the drop down menus. I also deactivated the modem, and got NO options (NO SBLive card or anything.) in any of those drop-down menus. It just gives me a greyed out "No MIDI playback device available" in the box.

Oh another thing. I also removed the modem card. Still did not give me any audio driver in the menu. I also switched the cards to other slots. Nothing worked.

Which is why I wondered about trying the /fastdetect option mentioned above.

Scott

vomacka

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2012
Funny you should mention that. I also tried the on-board (After activating it in the BIOS). No sound. I surely thought that the on-board would work. But nothing. So I deactivated it and went back to troubleshooting the SBLive card drivers.

Scott

vomacka

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2012
Ok, tried to remove the /fast detect switch. Did not work. Still no sound.

Back to square one.

I read some where that there is the possibility that I am missing the driver for the Hi Def Audio controller so Windows can't detect any audio devices?

I will have to look into this, but I don't know where to look. Is there a file name for the HD Audio controller in Windows XP?

Scott

COLGeek

Cybernaut
When you install the drivers from Creative, the needed files are installed. You don't need a separate HD Audio controller driver.

You do have the most current driver from Creative, right? BTW, what specific SB Live! do you have?

http://support.creative.com/Products/product_list.aspx?catID=1&CatName=Sound+Blaster#

vomacka

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2012
I have tried re-installing the drivers from the CD three times. I don't think a updated driver will help any. The card is more than 5 years old. Maybe I will try the new driver and see what happens. Couldn't hurt... Lets hope.

To be continued...

Scott

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Using the CD may be the very problem you are chasing. Updates, when provided, take into account changes in the OS. An updated driver from Creative may solve the whole matter.

Go to the link provided earlier and find the current version for your sound card. Seriously, it could make all of the needed difference.

Good luck!

vomacka

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2012
Ok. Here is what I did...

1. Downloaded and installed the newest drivers for the SBLive card. NOTHING.

2. Downloaded the newest drivers for my on-board sound (enabled). NOTHING.

3. Removed the sound card from it's slot and put it in another. NOTHING.

4. Removed the modem and put it in another slot. NOTHING.

At this point I may have to go through the registry and see if there is anything there that looks amiss. The problem is I don't know what to look for.

In my sounds/audio properties/sound devices box it says MODEM #2 LINE PLAYBACK. It says this for all the other drop-down boxes as well. (See page 1 of this post) I wonder if this is the problem. Although the changing/moving the modem has no affect.

I'm thinking there must be a bad entry in the registry that is causing this problem. That's the only place to look now.

So what am I looking for? Perhaps MODEM #2 LINE PLAYBACK?

Scott

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Yes, look for any modem entries and delete them. Also, I suggest a full uninstall of all SB drivers. Use DriverSweeper to remove the drivers. Also use CCleaner to remove any orphaned entries in your registry.

Once clean, try a "fresh" install of the most current drivers. Good luck!

P.S. You can always reload Windows as a last resort....

vomacka

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2012
OK. I went looking in the registry and found this for starters.

Registryentrysoundmapper-1.jpg

Notice the two entries, PLAYBACK and RECORD in the right window. These entries probably are the two menu options on this screen:

SoundsandAudioDeviceproperties.jpg

Don't know if this helps any, but it seems a start in the right direction. I think if I change PLAYER and RECORD to the name of my SBLive sound card, it will change these two menu options. However, I don't think it will help me with the problem. of "seeing" the SBLive audio device.

I will go back into the registry and look for any SBLive entries to see if there are any problems on that front.

I will post any screen shots of my progress when I can.

To be continued...

Scott

P.S.
YES I know that messing around in the registry can have disastrous consequences. That is why I have made a back-up copy of my registry.

vomacka

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2012
OK. Here's the latest..

I was looking in the System Info screen and found these listings (highlighted) for my sound card drivers:

Systeminfosoundcardnotstarted.jpg

It seems that the SB drivers are not started?? I have no idea how to start them. There is nothing in services that I can see that would start them. Reinstalling them does nothing.

Also, what about the last highlighted item (Universal Audio Adapter is not started either)?

How am I supposed to "start" the drivers when there is no where to do that? That should have automatically been done when they were loaded.

Any ideas at this stage of the problem?

Scott

vomacka

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2012
I'm looking in services now and I don't really know what service would "start" the UAA or the Creative sound card drivers.

I will try and post a few screen shots of the services that are "not started". Maybe by looking at the list we can get some ideas.

To be continued...

Scott

TRENDING THREADS