Sign in with
Your question

Bottleneck (how to pick components?)

Last response: in CPUs
March 12, 2012 2:42:41 PM

Hello Everyone!

I have a question that has been bothering me for a while now. Everyone knows about bottleneck in computer hardware. But what i would like to ask is this:
When i buy a CPU how do i know which RAM, video cart etc will not bottleneck with it? For example i have LGA 775 E4300 CPU and i have Radion HD 2600XT Video. How do i know if this two are working in perfect harmony? Better yet what if i would upgrade my video card to say 9000 series, the CPU would become a bottleneck. But than again, how do i know where is my CPU limits?

These questions go for all hardware and all comes down to one: How do i know\find out my hardware capabilities?

Thank you.
Alek.
a c 203 à CPUs
March 12, 2012 2:49:34 PM

AlkinP said:
Everyone knows about bottleneck in computer hardware.
Maybe not so much.
Certainly, not everyone knows there is Always a bottleneck.
Fix one - something else becomes the bottleneck.
The bottleneck isn't always the same item for different type of tasks or software.

Don't worry about 'bottle-necks'.

Look for ways to fix the performance issues you may have with how your system does the work you want to do with it.
March 12, 2012 2:51:45 PM

Well my concern is not to buy a part which will be intimidatingly bottleneked by existing part.
Related resources
a c 203 à CPUs
March 12, 2012 2:55:41 PM

If it makes your system faster or will make you more efficient doing your work ... isn't that what you're looking for?

Don't worry about bottlenecks.
a b à CPUs
March 12, 2012 3:24:54 PM

That combo E4300+2600XT is fairly balanced being both 3+ generations behind current technology. You're not going to see a huge benefit upgrading one or the other.

You'd get a quality improvement in games but upgrading to a direct X 11 compatible video card.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Really should just save and buy a new system when you can afford it.
March 12, 2012 3:25:06 PM

Ultimately yes i am.
March 12, 2012 3:29:05 PM

Cazalan

Ok. Radeon HD 7750 looks good but would E4500 type CPU allow it to work to full potential?
a b à CPUs
March 12, 2012 4:19:43 PM

AlkinP said:
Cazalan

Ok. Radeon HD 7750 looks good but would E4500 type CPU allow it to work to full potential?

Full potential no, but of the currently shipping cards it's the most future proof (in that price range) when you do upgrade the CPU.

a b à CPUs
March 12, 2012 5:42:12 PM

There's a lot of fuzz going on with the term "bottleneck". It's mostly because that term isn't used to cover facts, but leaves a lot room for personal opinions of self declared experts.

Quote:
a bottleneck is a phenomenon by which the performance or capacity of an entire system is severely limited by a single component

That means, the worst case scenario is one component limiting the overall performance of the system to it's own level. So basically an integrated graphic card will limit a i5 2500k when it comes to graphics. Surprise? Not really. Will it hurt your system? No. Will it hurt the performance? Obviously.

A rule of thumb is always match parts by their specs. The graphic card needs PCIe 2.0, get a board that features it. The graphics card is a top tier card? ... Don't get low tier CPU. Common sense will bring you quite far, for everything else do some research on benchmarks/reviews.

Most of the time it's better to get the new GPU first and CPU later.
March 12, 2012 5:49:42 PM

Thanks whatsthatnoise you did grasp the scope of my question. The term "bottleneck" is very well understood by me. But as a consequence of it comes a desire to understand how to build a well balanced system of which each component has a low % to become a bottleneck for another component.

What i am trying to say is if i have i7 sandybridge CPU and i wish to buy a hdds that will use full capacity of that CPU what do i look at? Is there any guidelines?
a b à CPUs
March 12, 2012 6:17:12 PM

A CPU has not much to do with your HDD/SSD speed. For HDD/SSD you want an SATA III capable motherboard. You than check for HDD/SSD reviews to see which one is the fastest/matches your needs.

For games you mainly look at CPU and GPU. While your HDD/SSD might lower loading times, the actually fps is limited by CPU and GPU performance and to some extent your system memory.
!