lepinat0r

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2011
Hello all again! Unfortunately, for me lol, I am back. My last post was about my mobo not using the RAM in slot 3&4, which was found to be a defective motherboard.

Anyways, this time it is another problem. I am getting random, but somewhat frequent lockups with my build. The Bios is up to date along with all the new drivers. My build:

Mobo: Gigabyte z68xp-ud3 (NEW)
CPU: i7 2600k (NEW)
RAM: 2x4GB G.SKill && 2x2GB G.Skill (Dual Channeled correctly)
GPU: Geforce GTX 460
PSU: Black Widow 850w
Storage: 60GB SSD
Display: Running Dual monitor (No problems with old mobo / setup)

-I have double / triple checked the connections
-Not an overheating issue

-The one thing I can think of that might do something is maybe old drivers from my old motherboard are conflicting with my new motherboard??? I don't know if that is possible, but it is my only lead atm lol.

-I would love to not have to do a fresh install since I am without a SATA DVD drive atm.

Thanks for all the help in advance!

lepinat0r

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2011
No no.

I installed all the drivers for my new motherboard, but I never did a fresh install so I was wondering if maybe some old drivers were lingering around and conflicting.

All of that is void now, I just did a fresh install. Been on about 40 minutes and no lockups yet. I will be leaving my computer on overnight.

lepinat0r

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2011
Still looking for solutions.

I ended up crashing in safe mode today. There is no set time or pattern to when I crash. There is no overheating issues. I am completely stuck and frustrated at the moment.

W7 only had 4 of my cores enable, so I enabled the other four, and now it seems like I am crashing more often than I was before.

The highest my temps have gone is 47 degrees C. This includes SC2, streaming, music, vent, browsers, and I'm sure a little more. CPU usage never went above 60 either.

Please, any ideas, I can't tell if it is a mobo RMA or a CPU RMA if it is one...

MatthewH01

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2011
I don't have a SSD, only a WD caviar Blue 500GB HDD

I don't think it is the RAM, as I have run Memtest86+ mutliple times with no errors

My computer randomly freezes, usually when watching youtube.

lepinat0r

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2011
So.. I found out it was my RAM last night. My 2gb sticks run at a lower frequency than my 4gb sticks and for some reason this motherboard does not automatically lower the frequency of the higher ones. There is also no way that I have found to go manually do it. Pretty odd since a pos ASUS mobo I have can do it but my brand new z68xp ud3 can't..

Thanks for all your help and suggestions roaringdragon, this thread has been resolved.