Sign in with
Your question

Replace memory?

January 17, 2013 12:41:38 PM

Hi,
I have an ASRock Z77 Extreme 4 mobo with a 3570k. So far very pleased with it bar memory.

My memory is 8gb of 2133MHz CL9 Corsair Dominator GT but it doesn't appear on the compatibility list.

I have had a large amount of trouble getting this to run at native specs no matter what i altered in the BIOS. I had to lower the frequency to 1600MHz and tighten timings to CL7.

I've read that this mobo is very picky about the memory used in it and wanted advice about it. The current memory has the active cooling fan by corsair as well. I plan to get a h100i as I want water cooling, so the memory size/fan isn't a major problem to me. However, I have seen people recommend the low profile memory from corsair at 1600MHz.

My question is, should I leave the current memory as is. Or should I buy memory that is better/on the list/low profile/etc. What memory is recommended? Will leaving the memory as is limit my ability to overclock?
The kit admittedly cost me £80 so it wasn't the most sensible buy ever. But if a replacement costs less and works better it's worth it to me. I want to try pushing for the 4.8 overclock if I can. But I've managed to get it to 4.4 in tests so far (with stock cooler so I didn't do a burn test).

Please help, this isn't a matter of knowing the specs really, it's more experience and I haven't very much with regards to this.

More about : replace memory

!