Bluetooth Class ratings

Can anyone tell me what the "Class" rating on BT devices means?
I've seen some vendors list specifications on diffferent models and
some have different class ratings.
What does this signify?
Is one class type better than another?
What should I be looking for or does it matter?
Also, should the BT interface to my PC (the USB key) and my headset
have the same class/be the same class device?

Thanks,
Bruno

Bruno
<email spoofed; just remove the spam in the address>
4 answers Last reply
More about bluetooth class ratings

    Bruno wrote:
    > Can anyone tell me what the "Class" rating on BT devices means?

    The class rating refers to the power class of the radio in the Bluetooth device.

    From the Bluetooth specification....

    --------------------------------------
    | Power class | Maximum Power Output |
    |-------------|----------------------|
    | | |
    | 1 | 100mW (20dBm) |
    | | |
    | 2 | 2.5mW (4dBm) |
    | | |
    | 3 | 1 mW (0dBm) |
    | | |
    --------------------------------------

    This also defines the transmission range.

    Class 2 devices are by far the most common and have a nominal range of 10M.
    Class 1 devices have a longer nominal range of 100M.

    Class 3 devices are relatively uncommon and have a range < 10M.
    I've never seen a class 3 device marketed.

    Obvioulsy you need a pair of class 1 devices to achieve data communication at
    ~100 Metres.

    HTH

    Rob

    --
    Rap it up for the common good
    Let us enlist the neighbourhood

    Tomtomclub, 1980.

    That makes perfect sense.
    Thanks for the info!
    Bruno

    On Fri, 29 Jul 2005 10:07:04 +0100, Rob Shepherd
    <robshep@invalid.invalid> wrote:

    >Bruno wrote:
    >> Can anyone tell me what the "Class" rating on BT devices means?
    >
    >The class rating refers to the power class of the radio in the Bluetooth device.
    >
    > From the Bluetooth specification....
    >
    >--------------------------------------
    >| Power class | Maximum Power Output |
    >|-------------|----------------------|
    >| | |
    >| 1 | 100mW (20dBm) |
    >| | |
    >| 2 | 2.5mW (4dBm) |
    >| | |
    >| 3 | 1 mW (0dBm) |
    >| | |
    >--------------------------------------
    >
    >This also defines the transmission range.
    >
    >Class 2 devices are by far the most common and have a nominal range of 10M.
    >Class 1 devices have a longer nominal range of 100M.
    >
    >Class 3 devices are relatively uncommon and have a range < 10M.
    >I've never seen a class 3 device marketed.
    >

    >Obvioulsy you need a pair of class 1 devices to achieve data communication at
    >~100 Metres.
    >
    >HTH
    >
    >Rob

    Bruno
    <email spoofed; just remove the spam in the address>
  3. Can someone tell me why my macbook pro can't seem to validat my bluetooth headset? I understand a lil bit about the classes and the ranges but I still want to have a second opinion. the headset is a class 1 and the comp is a class two, I've been told that this shouldn'd make a difference but I cant seem to figure out why i keep getting a "device does not have the necessary services" msg. does any one know what that means and whether or not it can be rectified?
  4. As long as the Class 1 and Class 2 devices are within 10m of each other they should be able to talk without any problems.

    I think the problem you are having is that the Microsoft Bluetooth stack has limited Bluetooth profiles and doesn't support the Headset profile.

    I would recommend installing the Widcomm Bluetooth stack as this one supports the Headset profile. There is no harm in trying, if it doesn't work you can simply uninstall it.

    It can be downloaded from this page on the Broadcomm website: http://www.broadcom.com/products/Bluetooth/Bluetooth-RF-Silicon-and-Software-Solutions/BCM1000-BTW.

Bluetooth Devices