Sign in with
Your question

Would a new gpu be bottlenecked by the rest of my system?

Tags:
  • Homebuilt
  • Systems
  • Product
Last response: in Systems
December 8, 2011 12:34:05 AM

Hey guys, I'm looking to upgrade my computer a little bit to prep for SWToR but I'm not sure if there's much more I can squeeze out of this old girl.

Would a new graphics card help, or be bottlenecked by the rest of the system? Are there any other upgrades I could make that could carry over into a new system build in the future?

Here's the basics:

Mobo: Gigabyte EP43-UD3L
CPU: Core 2 Duo 6400 (2.13 GHz)
RAM: 4GB DDR2 400
GPU: 512mb 8800GT
PSU: 450w (I think)
Storage: 60GB AData SSD and 250GB HDD
Display: Samsung 24" 1920x1200

More about : gpu bottlenecked rest system

December 8, 2011 12:40:45 AM

Its an MMO, it will prob run just fine with what you have.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
December 8, 2011 12:50:09 AM

I would say that you could upgrade the cpu, gpu ,ram ,psu , hdd , OS and the motherboard.
m
l
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
December 8, 2011 12:54:54 AM

The reason I say that is because if you upgrade the gpu then you have to upgrade the psu to have enough power , you can't upgrade the ram because you have a 32bit OS and you would have to upgrade the OS , you can't upgrade the cpu without upgrading the motherboard. So you see where I said the whole thing has to go because your locked in with those components and one affects the other.
m
l
December 8, 2011 4:05:02 AM

Yes.. I knew all of that. Maybe should have mentioned it in the OP.

There are faster LGA 775 processors (E6600) out there, but I don't know if it's worth it.
Would faster RAM make any appreciable difference?
Is the power requirement of newer graphics cards so much higher that the 6-pin powering my 8800GT wouldn't cut it?

EDIT: Updated the OP to more accurately reflect my situation.
m
l
a c 136 B Homebuilt system
December 8, 2011 5:10:13 AM

if you can OC the processor to 3 Ghz or so then it wont be a bottle neck to a card like a 6870
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
December 8, 2011 11:46:03 AM

Yes, stop squeezing the old girl. Your CPU is bottlenecking your 8800 right now. You could upgrade the CPU, but the improvement might not be that great, and better chips for that board are going to be hard to find because they're obsolete. I just now failed to find a Quad Q9650. To bump it to an E6600 surely would make no difference. Faster memory wouldn't make any difference, either. You would likely need a bigger PSU for a modern card. Sorry, but it's time to punt. (Does that figure of speech work in rugby, I wonder.)
m
l
!