1 Computer Multi Users

I was installing some trial version games on under a
specific user account on our new XP PC. Have kids using
same computer and wanted them to have access too. After
the install the games are only available to me. Thought
I needed to "share the folder" to have other users have
access to these games, but that didn't work. Some other
software I've installed automatically showing in other
users account. Does anyone know how I establish access
to other users?
..
5 answers Last reply
More about computer multi users

    Most applications weren't designed for this type of multi-user environment.
    Such applications need to be installed in each specific user's account to
    whom you wish to grant access.

    First, be sure the account to which you wish to grant access is set to
    administrator and not limited. Install the applications to the same folder
    in which it was originally installed. This will look the same as one
    install on your hard drive but create the pointers necessary for this user
    to have access to the application.

    Once the installation is complete, you can return the account to its limited
    status if that is what you want and the user should still have access.

    --
    Michael Solomon MS-MVP
    Windows Shell/User

    "mar" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I was installing some trial version games on under a
    > specific user account on our new XP PC. Have kids using
    > same computer and wanted them to have access too. After
    > the install the games are only available to me. Thought
    > I needed to "share the folder" to have other users have
    > access to these games, but that didn't work. Some other
    > software I've installed automatically showing in other
    > users account. Does anyone know how I establish access
    > to other users?
    > .

    Thanks for your input. Seems repetative to keep adding
    the same software to each user on a single computer. I
    can't understand the logic in setting up a system this
    way, even though the hard drives today are massive it's a
    waste of space and effort.

    No waste of space. If you note, my instructions say to install to the same
    folder as originally installed. This will result in taking no additional
    space yet creating the proper pointers to other users.

    The system wasn't created this way at least not to purposely force a user to
    do this. Many applications are not yet multi-user aware. As new versions
    replace older versions, this will change. We are already seeing a
    diminished number of this type of question.

    It is repetitive but as I stated above, newer versions of applications are
    being released with the ability to set them for either only the user in
    which the application is being installed or for all users. I haven't seen
    any that will allow anything more specific but I guess the feeling is, if a
    user needs something that specific they will have XP Pro and use the group
    policy editor to augment user specification in application setup.

    --

    > Thanks for your input. Seems repetative to keep adding
    > the same software to each user on a single computer. I
    > can't understand the logic in setting up a system this
    > way, even though the hard drives today are massive it's a
    > waste of space and effort.

    Thanks again, guess I was reading but not fully thinking
    about using the same folder would just sort of overwrite.

    Essentially, yes, it's the same installation as far as the hard drive is
    concerned but by installing in the other user account, it should create the
    proper pointers for the other user to access the application.

    --

    > Thanks again, guess I was reading but not fully thinking
    > about using the same folder would just sort of overwrite.

Configuration Computers Games Windows XP