mar

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2004

I was installing some trial version games on under a
specific user account on our new XP PC. Have kids using
same computer and wanted them to have access too. After
the install the games are only available to me. Thought
I needed to "share the folder" to have other users have
access to these games, but that didn't work. Some other
software I've installed automatically showing in other
users account. Does anyone know how I establish access
to other users?
..

Most applications weren't designed for this type of multi-user environment.
Such applications need to be installed in each specific user's account to
whom you wish to grant access.

First, be sure the account to which you wish to grant access is set to
administrator and not limited. Install the applications to the same folder
in which it was originally installed. This will look the same as one
install on your hard drive but create the pointers necessary for this user
to have access to the application.

Once the installation is complete, you can return the account to its limited
status if that is what you want and the user should still have access.

--
Michael Solomon MS-MVP
Windows Shell/User

"mar" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I was installing some trial version games on under a
> specific user account on our new XP PC. Have kids using
> same computer and wanted them to have access too. After
> the install the games are only available to me. Thought
> I needed to "share the folder" to have other users have
> access to these games, but that didn't work. Some other
> software I've installed automatically showing in other
> users account. Does anyone know how I establish access
> to other users?
> .

mar

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2004

Thanks for your input. Seems repetative to keep adding
the same software to each user on a single computer. I
can't understand the logic in setting up a system this
way, even though the hard drives today are massive it's a
waste of space and effort.

No waste of space. If you note, my instructions say to install to the same
folder as originally installed. This will result in taking no additional
space yet creating the proper pointers to other users.

The system wasn't created this way at least not to purposely force a user to
do this. Many applications are not yet multi-user aware. As new versions
replace older versions, this will change. We are already seeing a
diminished number of this type of question.

It is repetitive but as I stated above, newer versions of applications are
being released with the ability to set them for either only the user in
which the application is being installed or for all users. I haven't seen
any that will allow anything more specific but I guess the feeling is, if a
user needs something that specific they will have XP Pro and use the group
policy editor to augment user specification in application setup.

--

> Thanks for your input. Seems repetative to keep adding
> the same software to each user on a single computer. I
> can't understand the logic in setting up a system this
> way, even though the hard drives today are massive it's a
> waste of space and effort.

Thanks again, guess I was reading but not fully thinking
about using the same folder would just sort of overwrite.

Essentially, yes, it's the same installation as far as the hard drive is
concerned but by installing in the other user account, it should create the
proper pointers for the other user to access the application.