Pc rebooting and not detecting SSD

kodyl

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2011
Hey guys,

I would need some advises about my reboot issue.

MB: Ga-ma69g-s3h
4*1gb (2xcorsair, 2xocz)
AMD 64 x2 4000+
ASUS ATI HD 6350 Silent 1gb (16x slot)
Nvidia 7300 128mo (4x slot)
Seagate 500gb sata
Corsair Force Series 3 60GB SSD
3 screens 1 hdmi, 1 DVI, 1 vga
Power supply no brand 460W (bit old only 2 sata plugs).

I have been upgrading my computer in the part 6 months to get a bit more performance without changing the mobo and proc.
I bought a Corsair F series 60gb and an Asus HD 6350 1gb (no gaming for me).

I did a win7 64bit pro install but with Bios set as Native first and was disappointed by the performance (Even if with my system I can't get the best out of my SSD it was like with the IDE drive). So did a second one in AHCI as I read it was the way to get the perf. And it was better.

The new graphic card was installed on the main pci express slot and kept the old Nvidia on the pci express 4x slot to get my 3rd screen working.

It's all working fine until it reboots randomly ! And never when I'm there as I leave it on at night...
The event viewer shows nothing, just that it rebooted unexpectedly !
And when it does the mother board do not detect the SSD thus can't boot windows.
Even if I reset the pc the motherboard still stopped on HDD detection. I have to switch off the computer AND the power supply.
Then when I fire it back up, it's all good until next time...

The fact it does not detect the SSD make me think it's a hardware issue. Preciously when my system was on my 80bg IDE drive in Native mode this was not happening. Then I did not use the first install SSD/Native mode long enough to say that it was not happening with this setting.

-Could it be the SSD? the motherboard? even maybe the power supply ??

Any advice is welcome, what should I try ?!

Thank you.

kodyl

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2011
Hey,

I've changed my old PSU for an Antec 620w. Will see if it solves my issue.
If it's still rebooting, I'll probably test a new install on an ide drive with the bios still in Ahci mode.
I'm thinking it's maybe this mode which is not stable on old mobo...

Let's hope it's not !

kodyl

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2011
So, it was still rebooting...
I've put the IDE drive back in, which still had my previous win7 install. Then I've set the bios back to native mode.
Of course there is no problem... it has been on for couple of days without reboot.
So now I'll test with a sata disk with this AHCI mode.

So fun to trouboulshoot !!