Please rate and price my 2nd build.

TopGun

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
Hey Guys,

I've never tried selling anything like this before. What could I reasonably expect to get on ebay for this system? Would there be anywhere else to try selling it on? Maybe Craig's List?

I'd sell it here too if that's allowed...people here probably have a better idea of what it's worth. Here's my parts. Please help me figure out how to sell this and for how much. I'd like to make a little profit off it if possible...I put a lot of research into picking these parts...so, please be kind if it's not the best of the best. This is only my second build ever. I think I did pretty good though.

1. XFX Black Edition XPS-850W-BES 850W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS SILVER Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply Unit

2. SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive

3. G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL8D-8GBXM

4. COOLER MASTER RC-692-KKN2 CM690 II Advanced Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

5. Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 Motherboard

6. SAPPHIRE 100311-3SR Radeon HD 6970 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card

7. CORSAIR H100 (CWCH100) Extreme Performance Liquid CPU Cooler

8. OCZ VTX3-25SAT3-120G Vertex 3 Solid State Drive

9. ASUS 24X DVD Burner - Bulk 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 12X DVD+R DL 24X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM Black SATA Model DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS

10. Core i5 2500K CPU

Any and all opinions are welcome. Like if you would have picked something else or if I left out anything. How in the world do you ship this? Better all put together, or unassembled? Would there be a market for this? I'm trying to learn something here.

Thanks,

-TG

The more you use good brand name parts the better for resale and for the most part you did do that but there are a few parts that you may want to change next time if you have purchased these parts already.
Antec or Seasonic for a psu.
MSI or Gigabyte for video
Corsair or Crucial for ram
You can get these parts on sale to cut down on the price and you could offer two different prices when selling , one for assembled and one for unassembled. A real nice looking case is important when trying to sell as it would be more attractive and and interesting to draw people , even though it's just for looks and something unique is always good. The price is important as people are not looking to spend a lot especially if it's not from a company that provides a warrenty and tech support.
As far as shipping goes you should save the box the case came in and repackage it since all the components are going inside anyway and something that large you will have to use UPS. Last but not least you would have to decide for yourself what to charge since you are the one putting it together and you know how much time it takes you and sometimes you have to list it several times before it sells and you may have to adjust the price to eventualy find what someone is willing to pay.
Good Luck with your venture.

crimsonpc

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2011
That's a very nice system but if you'd like to not lose any money on it, you'll have to ask way over $1k, which I'm not sure you're going to get. Good luck with it anyway! A Craigslist ad wouldn't hurt.

TopGun

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
It's brand new right now...still waiting on the last 2 components to get here. I'll definitely put it all together to make sure everything works first.

You could get most if not all of these parts (or similar) for about $1500ish on Newegg I believe, and 1700ish on the cyberpower configurator (although this comes with a mouse and keyboard, maybe some other little stuff).

How much should I set a reserve amount for so as not to sell it too cheap?

AdrianPerry

Distinguished
Since its a brand new build, I'm guessing your trying to make some money on it?

Id add up the cost of all the individual components, and then add say $50-100 (providing you ship it assembled since the buyer more than likely cant build themselves which is why they would be looking to buy a complete build).

TopGun

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009

Would you add up the cost of the parts at the price they are currently, or at the price you got them for?

AdrianPerry

Distinguished
Current really, prices need to be accurate as of the time of selling.

If your trying to sell something now you bought a month ago for example at $100 and its now only $50 - no one is going to buy it at the price you paid, they would want something competitive to today's current price.

TopGun

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009

That actually would work out a lot better.

Got any other tips/advice?

AdrianPerry

Distinguished
I've never sold a system myself so I don't really have any more advice to offer. Generally its recommended to unplug things like graphics cards ect from inside the build due to damage easily occurring during transport - especially the heavy weight of the card on the PCI slot. If you leave the power cables in place, the end user would simply have to slot the card into the slow and reconnect the power cable. This would be something you and the buyer would need to discuss upon purchase.

TopGun

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
Sounds good. Thank you for all the advice.

I think I might try to put a video of me building it and making sure it works up on youtube. I can then refer people to it so they can see how it was handled and what shape it's in. Also, they'll be able to see the cable management and know/see exactly what they'll be getting.