Sign in with
Your question

New Gaming Rig

Last response: in Systems
December 8, 2011 2:37:28 AM

Who's up for a challenge?

I may or may not buy this depending on the responses I get, but here we go.

A Gaming Rig for $350 (scrap the monitor/OS) that can run modern games on decent settings with playable fps (higher the better) on a relatively low resolution (not 1080p for sure).

Feel free to do whatever you have to in order to make it work. Mention anything I'd have to do on my end to make it work (OC'ing and stuff perhaps).

Also, if you feel the budget needs some tweaking, go ahead. $350 is a bit tough, I understand, but I won't go too far beyond it- still flexibility is important.

In case you were curious, this thread is half curiosity, half legit question. If I were to get a decent desktop for this kind of price, I'd recommend it to my dad :p  He's been looking for one and he is pretty much as cheap as they come.

Have fun (I think)!

More about : gaming rig

December 8, 2011 2:39:37 AM

Actually there appears to be another thread that is a bit similar (The Broccoli-Covered Chocolate Build), so if you want to answer my own question, that's fine, but I'll be watching that thread as well. Feel free to close my question mods if you find it too similar to the other.

Edit: nvm, mines more about gaming, his is more video watching.
December 8, 2011 2:50:33 AM

Encendi said:
Who's up for a challenge?

I may or may not buy this depending on the responses I get, but here we go.

A Gaming Rig for $350 (scrap the monitor/OS) that can run modern games on decent settings with playable fps (higher the better) on a relatively low resolution (not 1080p for sure).

Feel free to do whatever you have to in order to make it work. Mention anything I'd have to do on my end to make it work (OC'ing and stuff perhaps).

Also, if you feel the budget needs some tweaking, go ahead. $350 is a bit tough, I understand, but I won't go too far beyond it- still flexibility is important.

In case you were curious, this thread is half curiosity, half legit question. If I were to get a decent desktop for this kind of price, I'd recommend it to my dad :p  He's been looking for one and he is pretty much as cheap as they come.

Have fun (I think)!

Only way to get this rig going is buying used stuff from craighlist. Its not possible to get a gaming rig (exclude OS and monitor) for 350 bucks that can run modern games.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
December 8, 2011 3:13:25 AM

http://gamingrig.blogspot.com/2011/12/400-casual-gaming...

Pentium G620
Asrock H61
Corsair XMS3 4GB DDR3
HIS Radeon HD6670
250GB HDD

What else can you do?
- Bump upto a G840 for $15 more and OC the s*** outta it.
- Find a cheaper HDD and get a better case + PSU combo (there are some better ones for around $25 more)

Contrary to popular belief, the HD6670 can max out 95% of modern games at 1280x1024.

Enjoy your new rig!
December 8, 2011 9:37:14 AM

That is one awesome computer my friend! But I wonder... Could you switch out the Pentium for a newer AMD processor? Thanks for posting by the way, looking forward to more.
December 8, 2011 12:42:34 PM

Encendi said:
Could you switch out the Pentium for a newer AMD processor?.

you serious? there are only 4 AMD CPU's newer than the Sandy Bridge Pentium series, and all of them suck more or less.

To put it into perspective, to get better gaming than the $80 Pentium G840, you need to spend ~$30 more on an AMD FX4100 or X4 955BE. Even then, the gain is marginal unless you overclock.
December 8, 2011 1:05:37 PM

You could kill off the case completely and mount your motherboard and the rest on the wall behind the monitor. Not really an option for OC'ing of course :p 
December 9, 2011 4:07:17 PM

Ah I see... Never realized sandy bridge pentiums existed lol
!