What does supported only by cpu with integrated graphic mean

Benjsean08

Honorable
Jan 17, 2013
Hello,
I am looking to build a gaming pc and while looking for a motherboard under graphics it says ' supported by CPU integrated graphics only' does this mean that I can only use the graphics card in my CPU? Or can I install another one? The CPU is the Intel i5 and the motherboard is the MSI Z77A-G41 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard with UEFI BIOS. Is this any good for a motherboard also? If not can you recommend one for under $150?
Many thanks

That just means that you have to have a CPU with integrated graphics (most Ivy Bridge CPUs) for the onboard monitor connections to work. A discrete GPU works with that.

I like my Extreme4 and it can usually be had for $150 or less.

What this means is that the monitor ports on the motherboard are only supported by cpu chips that have integrated graphics. That includes almost all of the socket 1155 chips with only a couple of exceptions.

You can add discrete graphics cards to attach your monitor/s which you would certainly do since you were intent on gaming.

Nothing wrong with that motherboard, or any other Z77 based motherboard either. Pick based on your brand preference, and possibly features.

If you will be building a gaming PC, then you must have a dedicated graphics card. The integrated graphics available on the cpu are simply not strong enough for gaming.
Integrated graphics is suitable for web browsing and even HD movie playback, but not suitable for pc gaming.
For that, you need a dedicated graphics card, the stronger the better. It will likely cost >$100.
Here is a good article on the best gaming graphics cards for the money:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-card-review,3107.html

The graphics card fits into a pci-e X16 slot on the motherboard. Every modern motherboard has at least one.

Stronger graphics cards may need extra power.
Here is a handy chart to size the psu you will need. It assumes a normal complement of cpu and peripherals:
http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page362.htm

My rule of thumb for a balanced gaming pc is to select a graphics card first, according to your budget and then pick an Intel cpu that is about half the price of the graphics card. If your graphics card is a top end GTX680 or GTX670,($350-$450) a i5-3570K cpu($220) would be appropriate.
If your budget is more modest, a card like a $220 GTX660 could be matched with a $130 i3-3220.

The cpu's I mentioned fit in a socket labelled 1155. For the most part, any will do.

Benjsean08

Honorable
Jan 17, 2013
So if I wanted to get around a $160 ish graphics card to play new games ( dead space, call of duty etc ) I only need an i3 processor? Would this be able to handle these? Thanks again mate

If you are interested in a specific game, then research benchmarks of those games.
Most games, but not all, need only a fast single or dual core cpu. For those, a pentium like the G860 would be fine and appropriate for a $160 graphics card.
If a game can use more, then a i3-2100 or i3-3220 would be better.

Usually, the graphics card is most important. It allows higher fps, or the use of more eye candy.

Benjsean08

Honorable
Jan 17, 2013
I understand what your saying, but do you think is would be better to spend a bit extra on an i5 and not have to upgrade for a while, or get the i3 and maybe have to update in a year or so?

If you have the cash or can stretch it, the i5 is a good choice with the thought that you're going to get a better GPU in a year or two.

If you are just going to live with this build as-is until do you an entirely new one, I'd settle for the i3.

I do not much like interim solutions if it can be avoided.
But... we all have a budget.

My take is a i3-3220 @$130 is a good budget gamer.
A i5-3570K @$220 is a 4 year chip that is as good as it gets.

Remember though, that most games are more dependent on the graphics card than the cpu.