Sign in with
Your question

Need new CPU and MoBo

Last response: in Systems
December 8, 2011 4:26:46 AM

Hi,

I've had my system for a little over a year, and the MotherBoard died on me last week. I bought another one, turned out it wasn't compatible with my memory.
It's so hard to find a socket 1156 mobo, so I'm going to get a new mobo + CPU. I had been very happy with my machine's performance all of this time, so I would like to reuse what I can. I need advice in getting a mobo that will be compatible with what I currently have, if at all possible. My current build at the end of this post.

Approximate Purchase Date: ASAP, as I use my computer for work.
Budget Range: Around $500 USD for both CPU + Mobo.

System Usage from Most to Least Important: 3D work, in film and game asset production (but NO heavy renders, simulation or lighting); gaming (BF3), watching movies, music, internet browsing.

Parts Not Required: I only need CPU and MB. (Listing my current build below)

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: newegg or amazon.

Parts Preferences: Intel i7 CPU Quad-core, LGA 1155 since it seems to be easy to find; I don't know about motherboad, as long as it's compatible with my build.

Overclocking: No, I've never done it and don't know how to, or what it is for.

SLI or Crossfire: I'm not sure what these are for: I use 1 video card, 2 monitors.

MY CURRENT BUILD: I got it a little over a year ago. I am copying all from the original order:
CPU >> Intel Core i7 860 Processor 2.80 GHz 8 MB LGA1156 (Still works, but I don't want LGA1156 anymore)
MoBO >> EVGA P55 LE 123-LF-E653-KR LGA1156 Intel P55 ATX Intel Motherboard (DEAD)
video card >> EVGA FPB 768-P3-1360-TR GeForce GTX 460 (Fermi) 768MB 192-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card (it's been doing great for what I need to do)
memory >> G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL
PSU >> COOLER MASTER GX Series RS650-ACAAE3-US 650W ATX12V v2.31 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply
I have a 23" DELL and a 22" LG monitor, running Windows 7, 64bits.

I hope I gave all the info needed to get some help.

If it's not possible to reuse one or more parts that I already have, I will consider buying an updated part, or rebuilding a whole new machine, but let's see if we can do with just CPU and MB first.

***** edit 1 *****
I've been doing more reading about motherboard compatibility with memory. I read on another thread that we had to make sure the memory is on the list of the mobo manufacturer? If I went for a Gygabyte mobo, I have to find the online manual of that specific motherboard, and see if my RAM is on the list?

Thank you for your time,
Passkal

More about : cpu mobo

December 8, 2011 5:11:15 AM

You are going to want a i7 2600k for CPU and This MOBO http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=13-121-...
Its 9 dollers more expensive than you want but this is one that get you great features for a great price and try tigerdirect for these parts as well and compare prices also sli and crossfire is if you want to use more than one card in a single system sli-nvdia crossfirex-AMD. And overcloking is putting your cpu at a clock higher than what is given i personally do not reccomend this as it can be stable for years and then crash on you, plus overclockong creates more heat and ive read documents on how overclocking may say you are operating faster but in reality you are running a bit faster or none at all plus this eliminate syour warranties for that item and the items tend to last less years , remember everyone this is jjust my opinion. sli and crossfire usually give you better performace for video rendering
December 8, 2011 5:39:23 AM

Thank you for the info Giby.

Can you explain why you suggested this mobo over other ones please? It seems like it's the most expensive of the 1155 intel ones, is this the reason? What does it have more than the others that I would need?

Thank you,
P.

Related resources
December 8, 2011 6:04:16 PM

Well i choose that because it is one of the best boards out there plus u can sli or crossfire later on for better 3D rendering and gaming plus the z68 chipset has integrated graphics and you can overclock if you want and i also choose this board because it has 100% good ratings as this board isnt very defective
December 8, 2011 7:20:16 PM

Why don't you RMA your current EVGA board? I looked at the specs and it says that board has a 3 year warranty.
December 8, 2011 9:26:58 PM

@1fox racing he said he wanted a new mobo that is 1155 compatible because he want a new cpu
@paskal you should be able to use everything ecxept the cpu and the mobo
!