Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • GPUs
  • Games
  • Graphics
  • Product
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 12, 2011 1:08:24 AM

I bought my gpu over a year ago and I'm starting to notice that many recent games aren't running as amazing as I would hope. I don't have an exact date for when I want my new gpu I was hoping November or December, but I can be patient.

The main question I have is I was thinking of going to a 580 gtx the 3 gig ones that came out, but I know that the Kepler series is going to come out in Q1 and was wondering if I'm better off waiting for those to come out. I'm also looking for something that will run games as best as possible for games like Metro 2033 and BF 3 at maximum settings out of the box for I do not tend to overclock.

I was thinking of the 590 gtx, but it is very expensive and it is also SLI and I tend to want one powerful gpu instead of sli or crossfire because I always love to go back to old games like fallout 2 that run horrible when I have dual gpus.

Price does matter I'd obviously like cheaper though I will go as high as around 600 though more then that does not seem like it's worth it anymore. So lemme know what you think for I've done a lot of research and looked at benchmarks and reviews and cannot decide which gpu I should go with or just wait for the new series to see if it knocks down the price for its been almost a whole year that Nvidia has not release a more powerful gpu.

More about : wanting upgrade 5850

a c 214 U Graphics card
October 12, 2011 1:15:23 AM

If you are patient,then wait till the new GPU's come out.I'm not sure how much of an improvement they will provide over current GPU's but newer is always better.

If you want a GPU now then the GTX580 is probably your best bet.Although unless your using Eyefinity(Multiple monitor's)then you don't really need the 3GB model.

What are your full system spec(CPU,RAM,etc.)?

What is the make/model of your PSU?

I would suggest this if you wanted to purchase now.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Of course you may need to SLI if you fully want to max out BF3.

October 12, 2011 1:24:57 AM

My system specs are somewhat old my computer was built over a year ago.
Its i7 930 at 2.8 ghz its a quad core
6 gigs of ddr3
A normal Asus P6t motherboard not the deluxe
Obviously a 5850 Hd radeon I did try crossfire with another 5850 and it ended in misery and I gave it away because no matter how hard I tried I couldn't get it to work right non stop artifacts, which is why id prefer 1 powerful gpu.
2 HDD 1 tb and other 250 gig both 7200 rpm
Also a monitor at 1920x1080 though if I can get a gpu good enough I may get a bigger one.
Not sure if this matters but just in case my sound system is logitech 5.1 z5500.

Aren't the 3 gig ones faster then the normal variant I looked on newegg and the shader clock and core clock were faster. Is this difference to small to notice?
Related resources
a c 214 U Graphics card
October 12, 2011 1:31:56 AM

No their is no difference in clock's between the 1.5GB and 3GB models.You probably saw a factory O.C. version.

Also the 3.0GB models won't make much of a difference even at 2560x1600.Only in extreme resolutions associated with Eyefinity/Nvidia Surround does it make good use of it.

Well as of now the GTX580 is the most powerful single card on the planet.I should add that the GTX580 is a lot faster than a single 5850.
October 12, 2011 1:35:35 AM

I did not realize that it was the same speeds I guess newegg needs to redo their specs because newegg specifically shows that core clock and shader clock are a bit faster on the 3 gig models. I also feel my case of sli was very rare and just a bad one and I would give it another chance. Do you feel the gtx 590 is worth the extra 250 or no it would be smarter to just wait another 6 8 months and buy another gtx 580 when the price goes down.

Or should I wait and see the kepler lineup before making any decision and just suck it up and use my 5850 until it dies.
a c 214 U Graphics card
October 12, 2011 2:10:42 AM

Well the thing with the GTX590 is that it has been downclocked because of power restraints.So a GTX580 SLI will be faster than a GTX590.That being said I think buying a GTX580 now and then another when you have enough money is the smart choice.

Of course ultimately I think waiting until the new cards seems like the best decision.Or you could buy a GTX580 now and then sell it when the new cards come out.
October 12, 2011 2:14:03 AM

How long do you think it will take nvidia to roll out the new cards if you had to guess more or less then 6 months?
a c 214 U Graphics card
October 12, 2011 2:24:21 AM

Yah that sounds about right.Q1 2012

October 12, 2011 2:27:02 AM

I'll have to think about it and see how patient I am lol. So either a 580 gtx or wait for the new possibly 600 series to roll out and either snag one of those or hopefully they majorly drop the price of the 500 series and grab one of those.

Also thank you for clarifying about the 3 gig series for the 580 I did not know that the memory was only useful for enormous displays.
a c 214 U Graphics card
October 12, 2011 2:31:42 AM

Yah that seems like the best option.Technically the GTX5xx and AMD 6xxx series was just a refresh with a 5nm die shrink.The GTX6xx and AMD 7xxx series will be 32nm so just by that alone it should be a lot better and worth waiting.Or like I said before you can always sell the GTX580 when the new series releases.

Your Welcome.

!