Sign in with
Your question

Win 7 64-bit won't boot on fresh SSD install

Last response: in Systems
December 8, 2011 5:07:12 AM

I recently purchased a Samsung Series 830 128GB SSD. I tried to install Win 7 64-bit to it, and everything goes smoothly until the 2nd reboot (following the Completing Installation line item). At this point, the 4 colored balls come together, but then the video shuts off and the whole process hangs. If I reboot, I get the 'Windows did not startup correctly' messaging, and booting into Safe Mode tells me Windows 7 cannot complete installation in safe mode.

Thinking it was possibly a conflict with my old motherboard (Asus P5QL Pro) I bought an Asus M5A97 and FX-8120 today. Same exact problem.

Where am I going wrong here? Could this simply be a bad Windows 7 disk that causing me headaches?
December 8, 2011 6:44:59 AM

To follow up, I've tried removing all non-essential devices during the install/boot, tested memory thoroughly, tried setting the SATA mode to IDE or ACHI, shut off USB ports, etc.

I've literally gone through everything I can think of with no success.
m
l
December 8, 2011 5:22:23 PM

Nobody has any clues? I've tried 3 different Windows 7 disks now. Ultimate, Enterprise, and Home Premium, all with the exact same results.
m
l
Related resources
December 26, 2011 2:40:46 PM

I have a 64GB version of that same Samsung SSD and seem to be having the same problem booting to my Shuttle computer. I've installed Win 7 64-bit and the Shuttle drivers when I got to the Windows desktop, but when I reboot I get the spinning balls and then it immediately stops. The monitor reports it isn't getting a signal. I tried using the repair feature during the boot from the Windows install disk, but the diagnostics say there is no problem in the boot up sequence.

I'm going to try installing to a new HDD to see if it is a problem with my Shuttle or the Samsung...
m
l
January 7, 2012 2:07:34 AM

Dano 312 said:
I have a 64GB version of that same Samsung SSD and seem to be having the same problem booting to my Shuttle computer. I've installed Win 7 64-bit and the Shuttle drivers when I got to the Windows desktop, but when I reboot I get the spinning balls and then it immediately stops. The monitor reports it isn't getting a signal. I tried using the repair feature during the boot from the Windows install disk, but the diagnostics say there is no problem in the boot up sequence.

I'm going to try installing to a new HDD to see if it is a problem with my Shuttle or the Samsung...

I'm having the exact same problem with my new agility 3 60GB, I've been looking for a fix for a long time and ive installed windows 7 and 8 preview several times with difrent settings and nothing. iam going to try updating my bios next.

anyways ive got an evga 680i mobo
m
l
January 28, 2012 1:58:24 AM

Just got my SSD today and spent a good 5 hours working on it. Had the exact same problem as you guys. Tried setting the SATA mode to AHCI and everything. Nothing worked.

Then I read somewhere that the AHCI drivers in Windows installation sucks, so I dug up my motherboard driver CD and loaded the Intel AHCI driver during Windows install, and it went through!
m
l
January 28, 2012 6:32:14 PM

Ok scratch that. It stopped working as soon as I put everything back together. Spent some more time on it today and realized the cause in my case was the HDMI connection from my video card to my TV, which was turned off during the installation. I simply unplugged the HDMI cable and it booted correctly to the screen that says "Setting up your computer for the first time".
m
l
!