Aftermarket heatsink/fan for Ram Clearance?

Hi....new builder, done lots of research but I can't seem to find a solution to a problem that keeps cropping up in how-to videos and product reviews:

I'd like to go 4x4GB ram on a build-specs below, and can't seem to sift through all of the specs to know which aftermarket heatsinks will allow clearance for ram with heat spreaders. Do folks who want these larger heatsinks just use 2 ram modules? I've seen alternative methods of rotating the heatsink, but from what I understand, that doesn't allow the greatest airflow(the whole point of the additional heatsink from what i understand)

If this is a commonly discussed issue, please direct me to the proper search terms as I've been unable to find threads through search. Help is greatly appreciated!

System will be built for light-moderate gaming, audio production, moderate video production. I'll be lightly overclocking the cpu, haven't decided between the i5 or i7 yet.

OK, so these are the components I've been hoping for; hope it helps in providing advice:

MB- Asus z68 pro, lga1155
Ram- Gskill Ripjaws X series
Case: Corsair obsidian 650d
GPU-not sure, but will only go with 1. likely a gtx 470.

These were the fans i'm looking at- prefer the 140mm fans, but if you say i can't get what i want with the bigger fans i'll listen. :)
Noctua NH-C12P SE14
Noctua NH C14

So, where can i find out which ram/heatspreaders will fit underneath certain aftermarket heatsinks? I can't afford to buy stuff that doesn't fit...

Thanks for the help; let me know if i can provide anything else!
6 answers Last reply
More about aftermarket heatsink clearance
  1. do you already own the ram? because heatsinks on RAM is a marketing ploy, they don't do anything.
  2. I do not own the ram- that's interesting. I mean, they look cool I guess...but i'm looking for stability above all else. It seems like most of what can be found on newegg have these giant heat spreaders---and is it the general opinion that these don't offer much of a performance or stability upgrade? So, something like the gskills below would fit my needs? I mean, at 16GB, i don't think i should have a problem with ram performance

http://www.newegg.com/Product/javascript:%20validform(this);Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231547
  3. stevetx19 said:
    I do not own the ram- that's interesting. I mean, they look cool I guess...but i'm looking for stability above all else. It seems like most of what can be found on newegg have these giant heat spreaders---and is it the general opinion that these don't offer much of a performance or stability upgrade? So, something like the gskills below would fit my needs? I mean, at 16GB, i don't think i should have a problem with ram performance

http://www.newegg.com/Product/javascript:%20validform(this);Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231547

Link doesn't work.

I bought a Xigmatek Gaia and the fan is up against the ram's heat spreader, but it works. If I would have put the fan in the pull, rather than push direction, it would have been a bit better. The problem you may find with the newer HSFs with heat pipes is that some cases aren't big enough to hold the heat sink. Those after market heat sinks are huge!
  4. I wouldn't say they don't do anything, but not much. They do increase the surface area and RAM does get hot so they will dissipate heat at least a little bit better then without.

Now you can argue that you don't need to cool your RAM anyway, which is surely a good point, unless you overclock it.

Corsair Vengance LP (low profile) RAM is quite good. Looks nice, no additional height, various colors to match your motherboard/interior. ;)
  5. here is a review of an aftermarket heatsink but I'll quote the end for you

In our opinion, after market RAM heatspreaders are a luxury item with limited usefulness. A well positioned 120mm or 92mm fan will do wonders for memory temperatures in most situations.

http://www.frostytech.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=2232

just get some low profile RAM like the Corsair XMS or Gskill's version of it, you don't need tower style heatsinks on RAM.

it's like putting tits on a bull
  6. Unless you want air, you can always look into the Corsair H series sealed water coolers. I have an older H50 that works great (i3-2100 at 24C) and the only thing you have to mount on the CPU is the pump. You of course have to then run the lines to a radiator and fan, usually the rear exhaust. Might be worth looking at if you really have your heart set on a particular RAM set you're worried won't clear with air.
Ask a new question

Read More

RAM Heatsinks Components Product