Snapdragon S4 Pro: Krait And Adreno 320, Benchmarked

Status
Not open for further replies.

shotgunz

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2011
Naw, more like give foxconn workers better salary, do something good with mountain of money they have, stop patent trolling, stop silly war with google/samsung and stop lieing. Then maybe Apple will be forgiven.

luciferano

Honorable
Sep 24, 2012
[citation][nom]shotgunz[/nom]Naw, more like give foxconn workers better salary, do something good with mountain of money they have, stop patent trolling, stop silly war with google/samsung and stop lieing. Then maybe Apple will be forgiven.[/citation]

Well, it'd be a start. I wouldn't go nearly as far as all is forgiven.

mayankleoboy1

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2010
AFAIUI, the PowerVR GPU in ipad3 is more of a brute force architecture. "Just throw more transistors" is its mantra. So its good in current workloads.
The Adreno320 is more refined and optimised arch. Trying to get the most performance from least silicon area. It is still being refined. Hence, it will do well in future applications.

G

Why the ST-ericsson 8500 isn't in this list either? too few phone out? Xperia S/P... looks it would rock some of concurrents.. omap..S3...
Please be as exaustive as possible ;)

G

Error in the chart on second page.
The cortex A15 DMIPS/MHz should read above the A9. Around 3.5 DMIPS/MHz from the rumblings.

G

These krait numbers aren't very impressive if you normalize for clockspeeds.
In fact, they seem to suggest only a very small improvement over A9, if any at all.

darkchazz

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2010
Tegra 3 is complete overhyped trash. abysmal memory bandwidth and weak GPU performance with useless extra cores.
Why isn't the exynos quad in the comparison?

dgingeri

Distinguished
This is a pretty good article, but I have one problem with it: the Tegra 3 is probably not the best example for the Cortex-A9. It's hobbled with very low memory bandwidth. It could probably perform better (including the GPU) with a better memory interface. Nvidia made a major design mistake with that.

fulle

Distinguished
May 31, 2008
[citation][nom]mayankleoboy1[/nom]AFAIUI, the PowerVR GPU in ipad3 is more of a brute force architecture. "Just throw more transistors" is its mantra. So its good in current workloads. The Adreno320 is more refined and optimised arch. Trying to get the most performance from least silicon area. It is still being refined. Hence, it will do well in future applications.[/citation]

No. PowerVR holds some very specific advantages over there competition... Such as shader-driven tile-based deferred rendering (TBDR) architecture.... and their GPUs are actually MORE efficient than their competition. Not less.

It's still very impressive what Qualcomm's done... I'm just not thinking they'll dethrone PowerVR anytime soon as the mobile graphics performance leader.

ddpruitt

Honorable
Jun 4, 2012
It's interesting that the S4 needs 1.5 Ghz to beat the Tegra. And that's a high end Snapdragon vs bottom of the line Tegra. I'd bet that at the same clock rate with a level playing field these two would trade blows. This tells me that the Snapdragon is still way behind Tegra. S4 isn't in any production hardware and Nvidia is going to release the next Tegra chips in a few months.

When Tegra and Snapdragon devices are available at the same time I'd bet that Tegra will handily beat Snapdragon. I wouldn't say Qualcomm is back in the fight, I would say this is Qualcomm's last desperate attempt to stay relevent

Bricktop

Honorable
Apr 22, 2012
Good Review. I'm curious as to how accurate your "aggregate" single core performance numbers are to a real single threaded benchmark. I'm not an expert, but I thought the memory controller and GPU were separate from the CPU Cores. Can you simply divide those benchmark numbers by 4 to get single core memory and multimedia performance?

edlivian

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2009
this soc shall be at the heart of my next phone.

Google, please allow the next nexus to be powerful, and have expandable memory.

Enough imitating apples cloud dreams, we want local storage!!!!
64GB microsd card is $48 on pace to be $36 by next year.

marcel17

Honorable
Oct 9, 2012
Now , let's wait and see until some phones/tablets come on the market with the S4Pro .
BTW , why are the Exynos4 and the A6 missing from the review ? I think they are the most relevant competition to the S4 .

PudgyChicken

Distinguished
May 17, 2010
For anybody wondering, the phone from "Competitor B" in the video is a Samsung Galaxy S2 Skyrocket, which has a Qualcomm Snapdragon MSM8260 processor. I know because I have one. And yes, it does get ridiculously hot.

dooderoo

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2012
[citation][nom]blackmagnum[/nom]Apple: Use this for the next iPad and all will be forgiven.[/citation] A6 has roughly the same performance and is available today + uses less power. The GPU in the OLD iPad 3 is already more powerful than this. Why should they use it?

dooderoo

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2012
[citation][nom]shotgunz[/nom]Naw, more like give foxconn workers better salary, do something good with mountain of money they have, stop patent trolling, stop silly war with google/samsung and stop lieing. Then maybe Apple will be forgiven.[/citation]

https://stopsamsung.wordpress.com

becherovka

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2009

The mountain of money is a global issue when individuals / companies stockpile huge amounts of cash it stops the turnover of cash required to keep the economy ticking over. I agree with buffet on higher tax's for the rich, and I think companies that don't use their cash should be forced to pay higher dividends. Obviously this isn't as simple as that it would require a lot of reasoning on how to balance this and most likely require global rulings for a global economy

Status
Not open for further replies.