I would like to have only one window per open folder in Win 7

ejr

Distinguished
May 30, 2008
I would like to have only one window per open folder in Win 7. This was how XP (mostly) worked. I cannot find a way to do this in Win 7. It seems I have all the folders open in the same window, or each time I double click on a folder it opens again in a new window. I want that when I double click on an a folder that is already open in a window that that window just moves to the front.

Hello ejr;
Try single click to move the open folder to front.

Or hover over the Folder icon on the Taskbar to see previews of the open folders and click (once) the one you want to work in.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

ss063.jpg

You probably want to check your Folder Options too.

From the Start Menu type folder into the Search bar at the bottom and choose Folder Options from the Control Panel section.

Under the General Tab - Browse Folders, make sure the first option:
Open each folder in the same window
is set ON.

ejr

Distinguished
May 30, 2008
Thanks, but neither suggestion works for me. If you set the folder options as suggested, every directory opens in the same folder window, i.e., there is only one open folder window period. I want separate windows for each folder, but only one window per directory. Because I am using windows classic theme, the contents of the windows don't show when I hover over them in the task bar, and that would just be a work around, not actually what I wanted to achieve.

I don't recall XP working that way either. You are saying that if you already have an open folder in a window, if you try to open the same folder a second time from a different window, it simply brings the currently open window with that folder to the front, right?

ejr

Distinguished
May 30, 2008
Yes, Hawkeye22 is correct (although there has been an odd case or two over the 5 years I have used XP where 2 windows showing the same folder are open). There is only one window per open folder.