Updating bios for another computer

Orion Quest

Honorable
Jan 17, 2013
Hello, I'm about to switch rigs, but using the same hdd, graphics card and dvd drive/burner. The problem: the Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 needs a bios update to run my AMD FX-8120 (at least its saying that on the site). Is it possible to download the BIOS update before the switch since I'm using the same hdd, or should I wait til after the switch to update my bios? I'm afraid my cpu won't work unless I already have the BIOS updated. Thoughts? Has anybody had to do this?

blackmancer

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2008
Yes, this seems like sticky situation. you have a motherboard that won't recognise the cpu. and you can't bios update without a working cpu that is recognised by the motherboard. I'd suggest taking it to a shop and have them update it for you unless have know someone with a compatible cpu that you can borrow to complete the bios update.

Orion Quest

Honorable
Jan 17, 2013
I did a little digging and found out I have a 1.1 rev of my mobo. Which in turn needs BIOS version F3. Problem is, the only way to check my BIOS version is to boot up. I'm in the process of asking Gigabyte now if there is another way to check my BIOS version, so it's possible I'm just worrying over nothing. I also asked if it was possible to go ahead and snag the F3 version now, since I'm keeping this hdd anyways. Hopefully I get good news *fingers crossed*

-EDIT- If anybody has a v1.1 of the Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 using an AMD FX-8120, your insight would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance.

Orion Quest

Honorable
Jan 17, 2013
I have everything already built, even wires are tucked away. I'm getting my final piece this monday (the RAM). But, I want to make sure nothing on my end of the build is going to mess up. Here's what I have:

Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 v1.1 mobo (of course)
AMD FX-8120 cpu
2x EVGA GTX550 Ti in SLI for gpus
4x 4gb G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866 ram (ordering that tomorrow)
Raidmax RX-850AE 850W psu, semi-modular
Corsair H100 liquid cooling for cpu
NZXT Tempest 410 Elite case. (has a really cool top that can fit the radiator for the H100).

Can't wait to play with it. Every piece I have is mostly black, case is all black with a black interior, the only lights inside will be from the H100. I'm calling it my "Stealth" rig.

-EDIT- changed the PSU from fully to semi-modular, has power cables already wired. I'm not trying to cause confusion here.
-EDIT 2- Changed H-100 to H100, also to avoid confusion, sorry about that :(

Orion Quest

Honorable
Jan 17, 2013
I DO have concerns over my PSU choice, however, since I have several rigs to test it on, and around 8 (7 if you don't count my roomate's rig) setups with which to test. I found that the PSU in question fully functions under load, and can also give me what I need power wise. (plus, I have to admit here, given its looks, I almost had no choice over a Corsair psu). That being said, so far its 12v 4rails have yet to give me problems. My roomate was kind enough to let me test this with his AMD P2 (4 core unlocked AM3), but, I'm trying to OC my 8120 to the 4.0ghz level, nothing for that particular cpu, and my psu can handle it, but i'm very wary of my psu being of poor quality. I've seen reviews, even by guru, which say this particular psu is decent, but I've never used Raidmax before, and I have my doubts.

Orion Quest

Honorable
Jan 17, 2013

I would tend to agree, and I've used ASUS with very good results. I've also used Gigabyte boards and had no problems (although it seems they still like to keep their BIOS in the stone ages). I could have just forked over the extra cash to get a sabertooth, and sometimes I wish I would just consider performance over looks on occasion, but the all-black and grey option that the Gigabyte mobo offered, considering all my other build options, would have given me the best result for both looks and function. Double edged swords are double edged :(

-EDIT- Yes, I watch WAY too much Game of Thrones. Next I'll be talking about the Iron vs the Gold price of everything, so far I've yet to get to that level :).

Orion Quest

Honorable
Jan 17, 2013

I'm regretfully aware of that, believe me when I say, I truly wish I could have an easier BIOS to deal with, other wise I wouldn't have this problem. But, if you take the time (no blame if you don't, I'm no egotist), you'll see that my entire build is of a certain color scheme, sure some of it has green hints, some of it white or red, but, for the most part, this entire rig is colored black, no lights... I want to keep it that way. If I wanted a rig with all different colors, there were many options and ways out that I could have chosen. That and when I first started building this rig (which was around 10 months ago), the Gigabyte board and the Sabertooth were my biggest two options. I'm just now getting to my final part of the build (I work as a chef, although I have a great deal of build know-how, I have no certifications to make me a professional in the field, thus keeping my day job), and I can't afford to go back on some of my earlier decisions, as bad as some of them may seem, most of my gear has already been bought. All I lack is my RAM, which I've already known to set up in my BIOS (and truthfully, I would have to do that with either board). What I want to make sure, and even though I do my homework on all my rigs and builds, is to make sure I can at least post. Right now, with the way Gigabyte says things on their site, I might have problems, depending on the BIOS version I have going with my mobo. That is why I created this thread in the first place. But, I do recognize ASUS as a respected brand, and also a brand I have used several times in the past.

Orion Quest

Honorable
Jan 17, 2013
Sorry for double posting (the former thread is a few days old, is that against the rules?). I have the results back from Gigabyte; apparently my version of my mobo (as long as it was sold past like August of '11) has the F5 version BIOS. So that said, I think this is problem solved. Thanks for all of those giving input. Apparently there is a code on their own BIOS chip that gives out the version, although, when I looked, it doesn't really give much detail (Um... none at all actually haha). So, either way, I would have had to ask them for BIOS detail. If it's not against the rules, for those of us wondering about Gigabyte boards and compatibility, I'll post what was said, that way nobody else has to go through my delima. Thanks again, for those giving input, ilu <3.

Orion Quest

Honorable
Jan 17, 2013
As promised: Gigabyte's official answer:
Dear customer,

1. I assume the board should come at least with F5 Bios, since the "F3" came out 2011/08/29.

2. The Bios chip is on the board.

3. You may choose to update the Bios first if have access to another CPU.