Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

6950's Crossfire

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
October 12, 2011 5:32:39 AM

Hi everyone

i want to crossfire 6950's but a few days back a read in a post that there are some driver issues in crossfiring 6950's.
Guys please tell me is there any issue driver or otherwise if i do install another 6950.

And secondly when should a graphic card be upgraded and when it is better to crossfire ?


Appreciate your help

More about : 6950 crossfire

a c 169 U Graphics card
October 12, 2011 10:00:04 AM

MultiGPU tech still has it's problems.For example,some games still don't benefit from SLI/CF or some of them aren't very well optimized and as a result,you may get texture flickering etc;but aside from that(if you play on high resolutions),adding another 6950 will definitely give you a decent boost in performance
a b U Graphics card
October 12, 2011 10:16:09 AM

better way is single gtx 580 excellent choice for gamming
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
October 12, 2011 10:21:25 AM

Wats wiv the 14?

thanks 14
October 12, 2011 10:30:42 AM

I currently run 2x6950 and run perfect in BF3 (much smother than colleagues with 560ti in sli), in Bf2 I tend to disable crossfire because sometimes the screen goes in black for a while (anyway full detail it is over 60fps... with a single card)
October 12, 2011 10:31:24 AM

yeah the gtx 580 is quite better than all things
a b U Graphics card
October 12, 2011 10:43:46 AM

mrhercules said:
Hi everyone

i want to crossfire 6950's but a few days back a read in a post that there are some driver issues in crossfiring 6950's.
Guys please tell me is there any issue driver or otherwise if i do install another 6950.

And secondly when should a graphic card be upgraded and when it is better to crossfire ?


Appreciate your help


there isn't much issue's as you think they will be fine with latest driver and mention rest of your specs...
a b U Graphics card
October 12, 2011 10:58:32 AM

I like the way the OPs question somehow requires a response of "better way is single gtx 580 excellent choice for gamming (sic)", you unintelligible people continue to amuse me.

The new drivers have proven a vast improvement in terms of GPU scaling but yes there are issues that still exist such as micro-stuttering and the fact that some games (Crysis 2 probably being the worst offender) simply do not take well to crossfire. But other than that, you should not worry about having any issues with crossfire and by adding another 6950 you will certainly see an increase in performance, as Maziar said the exact magnitude of that increase will depend on your resolution.

To your second question, there is no real answer. However in your situation if you are proposing to add another 6950 or upgrade, one, there is not much room to improve (6970 only slightly, 6990 is overkill for most unless bit coin mining, 590 maybe if your an Nvidia diehard). And with those options adding another 6950 is definitely the most cost/performance efficient way to go.
a b U Graphics card
October 12, 2011 11:13:00 AM

Ninja Pants said:
I like the way the OPs question somehow requires a response of "better way is single gtx 580 excellent choice for gamming (sic)", you unintelligible people continue to amuse me.

The new drivers have proven a vast improvement in terms of GPU scaling but yes there are issues that still exist such as micro-stuttering and the fact that some games (Crysis 2 probably being the worst offender) simply do not take well to crossfire. But other than that, you should not worry about having any issues with crossfire and by adding another 6950 you will certainly see an increase in performance, as Maziar said the exact magnitude of that increase will depend on your resolution.

To your second question, there is no real answer. However in your situation if you are proposing to add another 6950 or upgrade, one, there is not much room to improve (6970 only slightly, 6990 is overkill for most unless bit coin mining, 590 maybe if your an Nvidia diehard). And with those options adding another 6950 is definitely the most cost/performance efficient way to go.


that's what i told him that there isn't much issue to cf 6950
a b U Graphics card
October 12, 2011 12:40:00 PM

Yep, sorry, must have posted around the same time, didn't see your post earlier.
October 13, 2011 5:10:35 AM

pro-gamer said:
there isn't much issue's as you think they will be fine with latest driver and mention rest of your specs...



My Specs are

Processor Intel 2500k

Motherboard Asus P8z68 Deluxe

Ram Corsair XMS 8gb (4x2)

Hard Disk Western Digital 1tb

PSU Cooler Master 800w silent pro gold

case HAF X 942

a b U Graphics card
October 13, 2011 10:21:27 AM

very nice specs and you are able to cf 6950 don't worry about any issue's they will be fine...
a b U Graphics card
October 13, 2011 12:24:44 PM

Crossfire isn't perfect but it also isn't a waste. It works for most game I play these days and in the games that use it best it works GREAT. BF3 beta was more then double the frame rates in most cases and also allowed me to use higher settings (at 5760x180). Bad Company 2 is a different story, while my frame rates don't sky rocket with crossfire, it does allow me to use the highest settings and full AA/AF while I cannot with a single card.

If your other hardware isn't going to be a huge bottlneck (in your case deff. not) and your playing at a decently high res (you know, not 800x600, lol) then I totally recommend crossfire 6950's. If nothing else two is a lot cooler then one! :) 
a b U Graphics card
October 13, 2011 10:39:41 PM

You shouldnt have any issues with that setup.
October 14, 2011 2:46:50 PM

I am currently running xfired XFX 6950's 2gb, I have never had one problem with any drivers or in game. BC2 I am running a average frame rate of 135 with everything maxed completely out. BF3 with ultra settings I was at a average of 100 fps on Caspian Border. These cards rock and I am very pleased with the performance and in game quailty.
October 17, 2011 7:25:54 AM

Thanks alot guys for your help. Your comments and suggestions helped me in making up my mind.

once again thanks guys.
!