Bluetooth headsets: for cellphones only?

For quite awhile I have been curious about getting a bluetooth headset for
my desktop and laptop, which both use a Belkin F8T003 USB Bluetooth Adapter.
From online browsing I finally found one bluetooth headset that I really
liked, the Motorola HS805 bluetooth headset. When sought it out in my local
radioshack, I was dismayed and a bit confused when the packaging was
prominently labeled "for cellphones only".

What I would like to know is: was it just a warning by motorola to avoid
supporting, in any way, people and purposes like mine? Can bluetooth
devices be modified not to work on certain devices despite having the
appropriate profile to use it?
1 answer Last reply
More about bluetooth headsets cellphones only

    On Wed, 03 Aug 2005 22:50:49 GMT, "Local Hooligan"
    <torgo439-usenet@yahoo.com> wrote:

    > For quite awhile I have been curious about getting a bluetooth headset for
    > my desktop and laptop, which both use a Belkin F8T003 USB Bluetooth Adapter.
    > From online browsing I finally found one bluetooth headset that I really
    > liked, the Motorola HS805 bluetooth headset. When sought it out in my local
    > radioshack, I was dismayed and a bit confused when the packaging was
    > prominently labeled "for cellphones only".
    >
    > What I would like to know is: was it just a warning by motorola to avoid
    > supporting, in any way, people and purposes like mine? Can bluetooth
    > devices be modified not to work on certain devices despite having the
    > appropriate profile to use it?

    I bought an HS805 at Radio Shack to use with laptops (VOIP) and cell
    phones. I chose it because it uses a replaceable AAA battery instead of
    rechargeables. It works fine with everything: Nokia cell phone, Bluetooth
    USB dongles and the OEM Bluetooth in my Thinkpad X40 and T42 computers.

    So ignore the ignorant warning and get the headset.

    BTW you will find a coupon inside the package for 4 Energiser E2 lithium
    AAA batteries. Radio Shack does not honor that coupon even though they
    supplied it to you! And IMO they also grossly overcharge for those
    batteries anyway. So take the coupon to RiteAid or Pathmark or whoever
    sells them near you. The Li batteries do not hold that much more charge
    than do the alkalines, but they are far lighter and have a fantastic shelf
    life - both great for BT headsets.

    Tony

Bluetooth Cell Phones Gaming Headsets