Should i update bios?

PanicMaster85

Distinguished
So i just upgraded to a z77-extreme6 motherboard and a i5-3570k... I do overclock as much as possible and i was wondering if you believe that upgrading my BIOS will increase my overclock ability... thank you in advance :D

depends on the bios patches. a lot of the z77 mb the patches are for windows 8. ram and usb devices and new cpu code.

Your non-functional USB ports are probably a driver issue - do they happen to be the USB 3.0 ports? (The blue ones?)

I'd update the BIOS, personally, provided that you don't have close-ish to the newest. (You can also just look at the description of the BIOS updates and see if they're Win 8 oriented or not.)

Just... keep this in mind. If your power is spotty at ALL, or it happens to be a windy night, don't do the update. The reason people shy away from it is that if the power gets cut out while flashing the BIOS, the motherboard gets bricked. Other than that, it's perfectly safe.

myself i download the bios files and then unzip it. i then put a copy of the rom/cap file on a formatted usb stick. I then plug the usb stick in and reboot and go into the advance mode in the bios. there bee a bios updater built into the bios. all you have to do is point to where the bios file for flashing is. once the mb bios flasher sees the file it ask you if you want to back up the old bios..say yes and let the bios updater run. the mb will power off on in own. on reboot your going to get a cmos check sum error (normal for some mb when you flash the bios). hit f1 to go into your bios. when there hit f key that loads factory default for the bios..save and exit. on reboot go back in to the bios make sure sata ports are set to achi mode and ram xmp mode is turned on. save and exit.

PanicMaster85

Distinguished

ok thank you... but which bios to download? I want one that can aid me in overclocking and i have like 20 to choose from :/

painic go into you bios..look at the rev of the bios on the main screen. if it at the first rev then just flash the bios with the highest bios number. most vendors place all the bug fixes from lower bios into the last bios file. only have to do them in order unless the mb vendo says you have too.

download the 2/4 instant flash file. unsip it it make an exe file. copy the file to a usb stick...place the usb stick in a working usb port.turn the pc off. power the pc on hit f6 to go into the bios flasher in the mb. let the bios flasher look for the flash file when it find it let it flash your mb.

plug the mouse into the ports and see if it lights up or a usb stick with a music file on it. just make sure in the bios all the usb 3.0 ports are turned on.if it the front case ports make sure the cable on right and the mb case has usb 3.0 cable and not the older 2.0 ports.