Intel i5 2500k components

Status
Not open for further replies.

sterzian24

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2011
I am getting an i5 2500k sandy bridge and I needed a suggestion for motherboard around 100 (it can be a little bit more), harddrive (less then 100 I have an external 1tb just need an internal), Ram suggestion with the motherboard (less then 50) and a cd/dvd burner. I am not planning on doing gaming (low end) and dont have a high graphics card therefore I dont need my motherboard to be focused on that, I would also like a motherboard with a hdmi output. I am form canada and would appreciate canadian sites. (I like to go to newegg.ca) thanks a lot

Solution
MoBo: Best motherboard for ~$100 right now is the ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3. It's a fantastic board. The only thing about it that I was disappointed about was that it doesn't have internal USB 3.0 headers, but it's got two USB 3.0 ports on the back, and most budget builders don't have USB 3.0 devices anyway. It also does have an HDMI output, so it should work great for you.

HDD: Hard Drives are a bit more expensive because of the flooding in Thailand, but you can still get a high quality 500GB drive for $100. My two suggestions:
Seagate Barracuda 500GB 7200rpm 16MB cache Sata III
Western Digital Blue 500GB 7200rpm 16MB cache Sata III
These guys are both top quality brands...so just kinda pick one...

zippycorners

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011
MoBo: Best motherboard for ~$100 right now is the ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3. It's a fantastic board. The only thing about it that I was disappointed about was that it doesn't have internal USB 3.0 headers, but it's got two USB 3.0 ports on the back, and most budget builders don't have USB 3.0 devices anyway. It also does have an HDMI output, so it should work great for you.

HDD: Hard Drives are a bit more expensive because of the flooding in Thailand, but you can still get a high quality 500GB drive for $100. My two suggestions:
Seagate Barracuda 500GB 7200rpm 16MB cache Sata III
Western Digital Blue 500GB 7200rpm 16MB cache Sata III
These guys are both top quality brands...so just kinda pick one.

RAM:
You don't need more than 8GB of RAM if you're just going to be using the computer for casual purposes. Heck, you probably don't need more than 4GB. But the crazy thing is, I searched for both 8GB (2x4GB) deals and 4GB (2x2GB) deals, and they were often the exact same price! Why not just get double the memory at no extra cost?
8GB - $30 - HERE
This deal will also work perfectly fine with the motherboard I suggested.

As far as cd/dvd burner goes, as long as you don't need anything regarding Blu-Ray, they're pretty much all the same. Most everyone will advise you to buy the cheapest one out there. Here's one with great reviews and has free shipping:
HERE

Since you aren't doing much gaming, I think you'll be pleased with the integrated graphics on the 2500k. They're pretty good. Hope this helps!

Solution

roll_right

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2008

Sorry to thread-jack a little bit but isn't WD owned by Seagate? Would there really be any difference between those two hard drives at all besides the packaging?

sterzian24

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2011
Thanks a lot I appreciate the help, would you be able to recommend a power supply to from the canada newegg.ca please, also a link to ram and a cd/dvd burner from newegg.ca would be greatly appreciated

Status
Not open for further replies.