Solved

Compatibility between two RAMs

will these two work together ?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233141

and

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233218

if they do, will they work dual mode?

even though they are almost same, some factors are different like latency for instance.......
17 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about compatibility rams
  1. Yes, they should work in the lower latency/timing 10 and dual channel mode.
    Add. sorry they don't run in dual channel because they are not match (1x4 and 1x8). It only run single channel.
  2. Yes They should, but why not just by a matched pair to avoid any problems.
  3. i agree with weaselman
  4. weaselman said:
    Yes They should, but why not just by a matched pair to avoid any problems.

    so you mean that latency different won't be a problem ? I don't have configure anything in motherboard right?
    are suggesting I should buy same 4 gb ram instead? is there any 8 gb alternative for my 4 GB ram (the first one)?
  5. If you need 4GB, you are better get the 2x2GB RAM, same as the 8GB (2x4GB), because you need two same memory size, matched in symmetrical memory slots, but they do not need to be same brand, same timing, and same speed to run the dual channel mode. If you mix the difference timing/speed RAM together, the they will run in the lower timing/speed.

    But sometime, you will have problem with some MB or RAM.
  6. His total would of been 12Gb btw, because one was a 8gb memory module, and the other one was a 4gb. Even if you intend to buy the 8gb please check the board will support that amount of memory in each slot. or the total the board can use because it may be a waste.
    You are better off getting a matched pair of sticks though.
  7. cin19 said:
    If you need 4GB, you are better get the 2x2GB RAM, same as the 8GB (2x4GB), because you need two same memory size, matched in symmetrical memory slots, but they do not need to be same brand, same timing, and same speed to run the dual channel mode. If you mix the difference timing/speed RAM together, the they will run in the lower timing/speed.

    But sometime, you will have problem with some MB or RAM.


    ya but, I already own that 4gb ram(first one in my post), I wan't add another 8 gb ram(Second one in my post) as an upgrade

    as far as I know the one I have is an 1x4 GB ram.so what ever ram I'm going to buy should be a 8GB (1x8GB) or 8GB (2x4GB)?
    I'm getting really confused right now because of these 'X' stuff making me dizzy :( and what are (1x4) (1X8) are !? how to determine that ?
  8. weaselman said:
    His total would of been 12Gb btw, because one was a 8gb memory module, and the other one was a 4gb. Even if you intend to buy the 8gb please check the board will support that amount of memory in each slot. or the total the board can use because it may be a waste.
    You are better off getting a matched pair of sticks though.


    my motherboard manual says it will support up to 16 GB Ram, though it didn't say anything about the single slot capability
  9. well they should work together but i don't think you will be able to oc them..
  10. You should buy other 4GB RAM because most PC ( exclude the X58 MB that is Triple Channel ) only need 4-8GB RAM (8GB is the perfect fit).

    Read the review " Memory Upgrade: Is It Time To Add More RAM?Memory Upgrade: Is It Time To Add More RAM?", but if you do a lot of photo/video editing the you may need 16GB (like two of 8GB RAM or 4 of 4GB RAM).
    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ram-memory-upgrade,2778.html
  11. cin19 said:
    You should buy other 4GB RAM because most PC ( exclude the X58 MB that is Triple Channel ) only need 4-8GB RAM (8GB is the perfect fit).

    Read the review " Memory Upgrade: Is It Time To Add More RAM?Memory Upgrade: Is It Time To Add More RAM?", but if you do a lot of photo/video editing the you may need 16GB (like two of 8GB RAM or 4 of 4GB RAM).
    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ram-memory-upgrade,2778.html


    but I need more ram for 3D applications, I just want to find a compatible 8 GB ram for my 4gb ram which works in dual Chanel
  12. somebody please clear my doubts "can a 8 GB ram stick will work in dual mode with a 4 GB Ram stick ?" if so which one is best given that I already own this 4 gb Ram http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233141
  13. Best answer
    The answer is no. Read the link " Desktop Boards Single- and multi-channel memory modes " http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/sb/CS-011965.htm

    Either you PC will run single channel mode with 1X4GB with 1X8GB or buy the new set 16GB RAM, I forget ask how many memory slots in your PC, if you have two, then each slot can support 8GB, if you have 4 slots and each can support 4GB.

    Also open your PC to check memory module in your PC, like speed, timing, or model.
  14. cin19 said:
    The answer is no. Read the link " Desktop Boards Single- and multi-channel memory modes " http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/sb/CS-011965.htm

    Either you PC will run single channel mode with 1X4GB with 1X8GB or buy the new set 16GB RAM, I forget ask how many memory slots in your PC, if you have two, then each slot can support 8GB, if you have 4 slots and each can support 4GB.

    Also open your PC to check memory module in your PC, like speed, timing, or model.


    I've got 4 memory slots so that means I need to buy two more identical rams to get 12 gb ram, if i do that only 2 of them will work in dual Chanel and one will work single Chanel?............. so in that case I should either max out 16 Gb or be happy with 8 GB

    Quote:
    Also open your PC to check memory module in your PC, like speed, timing, or model.


    what do you mean?

    one more thing I'm on MSI motherboard, 785GM-E51/ 760GM-E51 to be exact
  15. You are better using the 16GB (4X4GB) because you need RAM for the 3D applications.

    Forget about check the RAM I forget you don't buy anything yet.
  16. ya but I'm going to buy a better motherboard within in a year so i'll stick with 8(4x2) ram

    Quote:
    Forget about check the RAM I forget you don't buy anything yet.
    hey I already bought and own that 4 gb ram just so you know

    thank you so much for your help :)
  17. Best answer selected by PC_Gamer.
Ask a new question

Read More

Corsair Latency Compatibility Memory Product