Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Compatibility between two RAMs

Last response: in Memory
January 18, 2013 5:07:41 AM

will these two work together ?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

and

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

if they do, will they work dual mode?

even though they are almost same, some factors are different like latency for instance.......

More about : compatibility rams

a c 80 } Memory
January 18, 2013 10:50:44 AM

Yes, they should work in the lower latency/timing 10 and dual channel mode.
Add. sorry they don't run in dual channel because they are not match (1x4 and 1x8). It only run single channel.
m
l
January 18, 2013 11:37:55 AM

Yes They should, but why not just by a matched pair to avoid any problems.
m
l
Related resources
January 18, 2013 11:46:43 AM

i agree with weaselman
m
l
January 18, 2013 12:47:42 PM

weaselman said:
Yes They should, but why not just by a matched pair to avoid any problems.

so you mean that latency different won't be a problem ? I don't have configure anything in motherboard right?
are suggesting I should buy same 4 gb ram instead? is there any 8 gb alternative for my 4 GB ram (the first one)?
m
l
a c 80 } Memory
January 18, 2013 3:11:06 PM

If you need 4GB, you are better get the 2x2GB RAM, same as the 8GB (2x4GB), because you need two same memory size, matched in symmetrical memory slots, but they do not need to be same brand, same timing, and same speed to run the dual channel mode. If you mix the difference timing/speed RAM together, the they will run in the lower timing/speed.

But sometime, you will have problem with some MB or RAM.
m
l
January 18, 2013 3:33:59 PM

His total would of been 12Gb btw, because one was a 8gb memory module, and the other one was a 4gb. Even if you intend to buy the 8gb please check the board will support that amount of memory in each slot. or the total the board can use because it may be a waste.
You are better off getting a matched pair of sticks though.
m
l
January 18, 2013 4:22:16 PM

cin19 said:
If you need 4GB, you are better get the 2x2GB RAM, same as the 8GB (2x4GB), because you need two same memory size, matched in symmetrical memory slots, but they do not need to be same brand, same timing, and same speed to run the dual channel mode. If you mix the difference timing/speed RAM together, the they will run in the lower timing/speed.

But sometime, you will have problem with some MB or RAM.

ya but, I already own that 4gb ram(first one in my post), I wan't add another 8 gb ram(Second one in my post) as an upgrade

as far as I know the one I have is an 1x4 GB ram.so what ever ram I'm going to buy should be a 8GB (1x8GB) or 8GB (2x4GB)?
I'm getting really confused right now because of these 'X' stuff making me dizzy :(  and what are (1x4) (1X8) are !? how to determine that ?
m
l
January 18, 2013 4:23:46 PM

weaselman said:
His total would of been 12Gb btw, because one was a 8gb memory module, and the other one was a 4gb. Even if you intend to buy the 8gb please check the board will support that amount of memory in each slot. or the total the board can use because it may be a waste.
You are better off getting a matched pair of sticks though.

my motherboard manual says it will support up to 16 GB Ram, though it didn't say anything about the single slot capability
m
l
January 18, 2013 4:25:56 PM

well they should work together but i don't think you will be able to oc them..
m
l
a c 80 } Memory
January 18, 2013 4:39:39 PM

You should buy other 4GB RAM because most PC ( exclude the X58 MB that is Triple Channel ) only need 4-8GB RAM (8GB is the perfect fit).

Read the review " Memory Upgrade: Is It Time To Add More RAM?Memory Upgrade: Is It Time To Add More RAM?", but if you do a lot of photo/video editing the you may need 16GB (like two of 8GB RAM or 4 of 4GB RAM).
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ram-memory-upgrade,...
m
l
January 19, 2013 10:55:48 AM

cin19 said:
You should buy other 4GB RAM because most PC ( exclude the X58 MB that is Triple Channel ) only need 4-8GB RAM (8GB is the perfect fit).

Read the review " Memory Upgrade: Is It Time To Add More RAM?Memory Upgrade: Is It Time To Add More RAM?", but if you do a lot of photo/video editing the you may need 16GB (like two of 8GB RAM or 4 of 4GB RAM).
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ram-memory-upgrade,...

but I need more ram for 3D applications, I just want to find a compatible 8 GB ram for my 4gb ram which works in dual Chanel
m
l

Best solution

a c 80 } Memory
January 19, 2013 11:28:02 AM

The answer is no. Read the link " Desktop Boards Single- and multi-channel memory modes " http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/sb/CS...

Either you PC will run single channel mode with 1X4GB with 1X8GB or buy the new set 16GB RAM, I forget ask how many memory slots in your PC, if you have two, then each slot can support 8GB, if you have 4 slots and each can support 4GB.

Also open your PC to check memory module in your PC, like speed, timing, or model.
January 19, 2013 11:41:14 AM

cin19 said:
The answer is no. Read the link " Desktop Boards Single- and multi-channel memory modes " http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/sb/CS...

Either you PC will run single channel mode with 1X4GB with 1X8GB or buy the new set 16GB RAM, I forget ask how many memory slots in your PC, if you have two, then each slot can support 8GB, if you have 4 slots and each can support 4GB.

Also open your PC to check memory module in your PC, like speed, timing, or model.

I've got 4 memory slots so that means I need to buy two more identical rams to get 12 gb ram, if i do that only 2 of them will work in dual Chanel and one will work single Chanel?............. so in that case I should either max out 16 Gb or be happy with 8 GB

Also open your PC to check memory module in your PC, like speed, timing, or model. said:

what do you mean?

one more thing I'm on MSI motherboard, 785GM-E51/ 760GM-E51 to be exact
m
l
a c 80 } Memory
January 19, 2013 11:50:57 AM

You are better using the 16GB (4X4GB) because you need RAM for the 3D applications.

Forget about check the RAM I forget you don't buy anything yet.
m
l
January 19, 2013 12:00:17 PM

ya but I'm going to buy a better motherboard within in a year so i'll stick with 8(4x2) ram

Forget about check the RAM I forget you don't buy anything yet. said:
Forget about check the RAM I forget you don't buy anything yet.
hey I already bought and own that 4 gb ram just so you know

thank you so much for your help :) 
m
l
January 20, 2013 7:56:59 AM

Best answer selected by PC_Gamer.
m
l
!