Status
Not open for further replies.

cfisher87

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2011
Hi everyone,

I use my desktop for primarily gaming (Skyrim, bf3 and I will be playing Diablo 3 and SWOTR). My build is running well but I am starting to notice my CPU is holding it back at times.

My current build is:

-GIGABYTE GA-MA790GPT-UD3H AM3 AMD 790GX HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard
(http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128398)

-AMD phenom x3 720 ... stock 2.7 i have OCed to 3

- G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 12GB (3 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333

- Corsair Force Series 3 CSSD-F90GB3-BK 2.5" 90GB SATA III Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) ... primary boot
- WD raptor 10k rpm 300gb ... storage

- Nvidia 560 ti (nvidia's own branded card)

- PSU rocketfish 500w

So here is my question. With my current build would you guys suggest me staying with my motherboard and going with the AMD phenom x6 1100t or a phenom x4 975? Or would it be worth the investment to get a new motherboard and get something like the intel 2500k? I do not plan on OCing any of the new CPUs...that said, is it recommended to get an after market cooler?

Also with what I'm running, I would assume most people here would recommend me going with a better power supply like seasonic or something like that. I just had a gts 250 before so 500w was more than enough, but the 560 ti draws more power I know. Is 500w good enough for my build or should I aim a little higher like 550-650w? I doubt I will be using SLI in the future.

I am looking to do these upgrades with in 2 weeks. I would rather not upgrade my motherboard but if i would notice a huge performance upgrade I would highly consider doing this.

Thanks in advance for anyone's input!

Solution
The X3 720 should give you a stable OC of around 3.4 - 3.6GHz so your current speed of 3.0GHz is pretty conservative. You will need an aftermarket CPU cooler if you don't already have one. Also, have you tried to unlock the 4th core? If not, this is another "first step". If you can unlock the 4th core and get to 3.4GHz you effectivly have an X4 975. Even at 3 cores @ 3.4GHz you are doing alright. This is where I would focus... There is no need to go with an X6. For that money it is time to start saving for a new rig. A quality 500W PCU is fine for the 560ti in that system.
The X3 720 should give you a stable OC of around 3.4 - 3.6GHz so your current speed of 3.0GHz is pretty conservative. You will need an aftermarket CPU cooler if you don't already have one. Also, have you tried to unlock the 4th core? If not, this is another "first step". If you can unlock the 4th core and get to 3.4GHz you effectivly have an X4 975. Even at 3 cores @ 3.4GHz you are doing alright. This is where I would focus... There is no need to go with an X6. For that money it is time to start saving for a new rig. A quality 500W PCU is fine for the 560ti in that system.

Solution
Why are you using a triple channel memory kit on a dual channel motherboard? Your performance might actually increase if you removed one stick of ram(the one in the odd colored slot). By using three sticks you automatically downgrade to single channel for your memory access.

Also, if you plan on overclocking or unlocking extra cores, you might need to upgrade your PSU ti a known good brand(Seasonic, Corsair, Antec, PCP&C, or Enermax) of 600 to 700 watts. Rocketfish is not a highly rated brand.

cfisher87

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2011

cfisher87

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2011
Clarkjd - thanks for pointing that out. I am the first to admit I do not know as much as I would like about computers. I'm glad you pointed that out. I did not know that would have an impact on my performance but that makes sense. I got the ram super cheap from a friend. I will take out the 3rd stick.

That CPU cooler would be fine as would the new model.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103099

For a new 650w PSU look at the XFX below for $60 after rebate.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817207014
...or the Corsair 600w below also for $60 after rebate.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139028

Petrofsky

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2008
That fourth core is "locked" because it is defective. When they manufacture CPUs, there is a "yield rate", the percentage of the chips on each wafer that actually work. If they hit 70%, they're doing well. Of the discards, some of the quad-cores have one bad core but are OK otherwise. They "lock" the bad core and sell it as a tri-core. It's a shame that they call it "locked"---it only tempts the inner thief-monkey in us all.

Status
Not open for further replies.