Sign in with
Your question

Can only boot in IDE mode after installing Windows 8 in AHCI mode

Last response: in Motherboards
January 18, 2013 6:10:21 AM

Hey guys. Really weird issue here and can't find anyone with the same problem, hoping somebody can point me in the right direction.

Hardware info you probably need:

MOBO: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R
Crucial M4 SSD in main SATA port
WD Black HD in secondary SATA port
DVD drive in a third SATA port

I had Windows 7 installed on my SSD, wanted to make the leap to Windows 8 (don't ask why). Windows 7 was installed on AHCI mode and running on AHCI mode just fine. Mobo was set to AHCI mode, hasn't been in IDE mode in nearly a year.

I installed Windows 8 from a USB drive (while mobo was set to AHCI mode). It detected all my drives. I deleted the old partitions and formatted a new one. After it installed, it wouldn't get past mobo AHCI controller screen and it said: Controller Bus #00 etc etc. It hanged there with a blinking cursor:

I tried restarting and getting back into BIOS but it wouldn't let me. BIOS always comes after that screen usually and it wouldn't get past that screen. THE ONLY WAY I could fix this was to reset my CMOS (and the only way to do that on my board is taking out the battery as far as I know, no jumper switch anywhere I can spot).

After resetting CMOS I was able to boot into BIOS no problem, and with IDE set by default, my SSD booted just fine and Windows 8 loaded for the first time. After finishing the Windows 8 setup and installing some drivers I tried setting it back to AHCI with no luck, same problem.

Anyone have any ideas? Really frustrated here, especially since every failed attempt means taking out my graphics card so I can reach my CMOS battery and then taking out my CMOS battery.

Please keep in mind, this is different than the many people that want to switch to AHCI mode after installing in IDE. I installed this in AHCI mode.

Thanks for all your help!
a b V Motherboard
January 18, 2013 6:50:42 AM

It sounds to me like the Win8 driver for your controller (if any) doesn't support your AHCI and SSD setup.

I would try and do AHCI on a regular hard drive and see if there is any difference. If there is then it's prolly the SSD drive, if not, then the controller/driver.
m
l
Related resources
January 18, 2013 6:55:50 AM

How do I install a Win8 driver that does? Do I need to update my AHCI controller?

And I don't have a regular HD I can do this on. My storage drive needs to stay my storage drive.

And AHCI worked fine with the same HD with Windows 7.
m
l
January 18, 2013 4:27:38 PM

alexoiu said:
Even if installed in AHCI, mode, while in Windows, check though the registry: http://www.ithinkdiff.com/how-to-enable-ahci-in-windows...
then switch to AHCI and see if it does work.

Sorry didn't see this until this morning. Checked the registry, followed the guide to change the entries to support AHCI. Still same problem on boot. I have to reset my CMOS again when I get home. So yeah, still unsolved.
m
l
a b * Windows 8
a c 558 V Motherboard
January 18, 2013 4:43:46 PM

It might be a driver issue. During Windows install have you loaded an Intel SATA driver?
m
l
January 18, 2013 5:01:53 PM

No. I heard you only need to do that if it doesn't detect the drive.

Also, if I wanted to reinstall Windows 8, I don't even know how I would boot from my flash drive, considering if my BIOS is set to AHCI mode it hangs at the AHCI controller screen every time.
m
l
a b * Windows 8
a c 444 V Motherboard
January 18, 2013 5:11:20 PM

Back to beginning, when you install the win8, do you connect the SSD and DVD only? Also do you try use other SATA port after install the win8?
m
l
a b * Windows 8
a c 558 V Motherboard
January 18, 2013 5:12:45 PM

So, if you set SATA to AHCI and the removable device as the prymary boot drive in BIOS, the system doesn't not boot from the USB stick but hangs?
Try installing an Intel SATA driver (the last one for X58) and test again if the system would boot from the SSD, SATA set to AHCI.
m
l
January 18, 2013 7:04:55 PM

cin19 said:
Back to beginning, when you install the win8, do you connect the SSD and DVD only? Also do you try use other SATA port after install the win8?
No, my storage drive was also connected. No, I did not try other SATA ports but it hangs before it lists any of my devices on the AHCI controller screen so I would assume it wouldn't change anything.

alexoiu said:
So, if you set SATA to AHCI and the removable device as the prymary boot drive in BIOS, the system doesn't not boot from the USB stick but hangs?
Try installing an Intel SATA driver (the last one for X58) and test again if the system would boot from the SSD, SATA set to AHCI.

I actually haven't tried setting the flash drive as the primary boot drive since encountering this. I will try that tonight. If it does boot, then I should try installing the Intel SATA driver? And can you link me to that? I forsee it not booting from the flash drive unless the SATA drives are unplugged. If that's the case, what then?
m
l
January 18, 2013 8:34:02 PM

The Windows 7 one?
m
l
a b * Windows 8
a c 558 V Motherboard
January 18, 2013 8:56:23 PM

Yes.
m
l
January 18, 2013 9:00:04 PM

Ok I'll try tonight. Hopefully it will boot from the USB drive. But I have a feeling it'll still get stuck at the AHCI controller screen. If it does, then should I try and reinstall in IDE mode and install the pre-install SATA2 driver?
m
l
a b * Windows 8
a c 558 V Motherboard
January 19, 2013 4:28:22 AM

That would be the next step. Install the Intel SATA driver and test again.
m
l
January 19, 2013 4:42:10 AM

I set the flash drive as the primary boot device but it still hung at the AHCI controller screen.

I unplugged hard drives and then it gets past that screen and I can go to BIOS. I can also boot to USB drive. I am trying to load the Windows 8 installer it's being really slow. My goal is to see if I can hot swap the drive in after Windows 8 installer gets to the install destination screen and see if it detects it. Then probably install the preinstall driver. Let's see if we get that far.

I am also redownloading the Windows 8 ISO from MSDN and am going to put it on a better flash drive.
m
l
January 19, 2013 4:52:41 AM

Confirmed it only hangs when the M4 is plugged in. Unplugged, I was able to boot into the Windows 8 install and plug in the HD and then it was detected. I was going to try and install the pre-install SATA2 driver but I guess it doesn't detect the EXE so I need to boot back into Windows 8 and extract it first and then put it on the flash drive.
m
l
!