Which laptop should I buy?

notruck

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2011
I am getting ready to purchase a new laptop, next week. This will be a replacement for my current desktop and current laptop. Both are over 5 years old. My preference is Dell / Alienware or Lenovo. I get a great discount through my company and have owned both in the past, which is why they are currently my only choices. I am currently looking at the following:

Alienware m11x
Windows 7 Ultimate (professional required)
i7 Processor (required)
8gb memory (or higher)
2gb video (or higher)
256gb SSD (or higher)

I occasionally play Starcraft, my son occasionally plays other games, I also edit plenty of videos, use the laptop with gps / mapping software on personal / business trips and at home, it will be connected to 2x 24" monitors on my desk.

Any suggestions? My budget must not exceed $2000.

Solution
As far as I can tell the 11" only has one HDMI port. I think you would be better off getting the 14" with the GT555M, a stronger video card. The tech specs clearly state it has the standard 3 video out ports.

What size screen?

Does it need good battery life?

Why 2GB video memory? That's not reasonable for your stated needs. Most desktops don't have that.

notruck

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2011

Screen size is not a big issue, while on the desk it will be plugged into 2 monitors and while in the car I think the smaller, the better.

Battery life is not a big issue, 60% time on the desk, 40% in the car with an inverter.

Video memory: if the m11x offered 3gb or 4gb, I would get that. My last desktop and laptop are less than 256mb video memory, which are the biggest issues with my current setup. I plan on this laptop lasting 4-5 years. Since video memory is not the easiest to upgrade on a laptop, I will get the most I can now. So what would be reasonable, 3 or 4 years from now?

notruck

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2011

I was already thinking about that, just didn't want to spend the extra if it wasn't really needed. And I thought one HDMI port would not be critical as I can use HDMI for 1 monitor and DP for the 2nd.

phyco126

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2011
Just a note: a 11" laptop will perform worse than a cheaper 15" laptop for the same price.

This is very affordable, and has insane power behind it too. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834152295

It might not be exactly what you want, but its a start.

Only downfall is the 1.5 GB video memory. Doesn't matter though, because the more powerful GPU will push that better than a weak GPU with all the memory in the world.