Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Which laptop should I buy?

Last response: in Systems
December 8, 2011 4:45:20 PM

I am getting ready to purchase a new laptop, next week. This will be a replacement for my current desktop and current laptop. Both are over 5 years old. My preference is Dell / Alienware or Lenovo. I get a great discount through my company and have owned both in the past, which is why they are currently my only choices. I am currently looking at the following:

Alienware m11x
Windows 7 Ultimate (professional required)
i7 Processor (required)
8gb memory (or higher)
2gb video (or higher)
256gb SSD (or higher)

I occasionally play Starcraft, my son occasionally plays other games, I also edit plenty of videos, use the laptop with gps / mapping software on personal / business trips and at home, it will be connected to 2x 24" monitors on my desk.

Any suggestions? My budget must not exceed $2000.

More about : laptop buy

December 9, 2011 11:00:42 PM

notruck said:
I am getting ready to purchase a new laptop, next week. This will be a replacement for my current desktop and current laptop. Both are over 5 years old. My preference is Dell / Alienware or Lenovo. I get a great discount through my company and have owned both in the past, which is why they are currently my only choices. I am currently looking at the following:

Alienware m11x
Windows 7 Ultimate (professional required)
i7 Processor (required)
8gb memory (or higher)
2gb video (or higher)
256gb SSD (or higher)

I occasionally play Starcraft, my son occasionally plays other games, I also edit plenty of videos, use the laptop with gps / mapping software on personal / business trips and at home, it will be connected to 2x 24" monitors on my desk.

Any suggestions? My budget must not exceed $2000.

What size screen?

Does it need good battery life?

Why 2GB video memory? That's not reasonable for your stated needs. Most desktops don't have that.
m
l
December 10, 2011 1:47:09 AM

Proximon said:
What size screen?

Does it need good battery life?

Why 2GB video memory? That's not reasonable for your stated needs. Most desktops don't have that.

Screen size is not a big issue, while on the desk it will be plugged into 2 monitors and while in the car I think the smaller, the better.

Battery life is not a big issue, 60% time on the desk, 40% in the car with an inverter.

Video memory: if the m11x offered 3gb or 4gb, I would get that. My last desktop and laptop are less than 256mb video memory, which are the biggest issues with my current setup. I plan on this laptop lasting 4-5 years. Since video memory is not the easiest to upgrade on a laptop, I will get the most I can now. So what would be reasonable, 3 or 4 years from now?
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

December 10, 2011 2:10:44 AM

As far as I can tell the 11" only has one HDMI port. I think you would be better off getting the 14" with the GT555M, a stronger video card. The tech specs clearly state it has the standard 3 video out ports.
December 10, 2011 6:39:17 PM

Proximon said:
As far as I can tell the 11" only has one HDMI port. I think you would be better off getting the 14" with the GT555M, a stronger video card. The tech specs clearly state it has the standard 3 video out ports.

I was already thinking about that, just didn't want to spend the extra if it wasn't really needed. And I thought one HDMI port would not be critical as I can use HDMI for 1 monitor and DP for the 2nd.
m
l
a b D Laptop
December 12, 2011 12:13:27 AM

Just a note: a 11" laptop will perform worse than a cheaper 15" laptop for the same price.

This is very affordable, and has insane power behind it too. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

It might not be exactly what you want, but its a start.

Only downfall is the 1.5 GB video memory. Doesn't matter though, because the more powerful GPU will push that better than a weak GPU with all the memory in the world.
m
l
December 21, 2011 11:41:13 PM

Best answer selected by notruck.
m
l
!