Help on building first gaming computer

Elementor5

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2011
Hi All,

My current desktop that I use for gaming is starting to show its age (about 8 years old now) and I'm looking to upgrade. I play a few MMO's and my current video card is having trouble keeping up. I've been playing around with the idea for a while now of building my next computer, but I'm just not sure where to start. I've been poking around the articles here for a while, but I'm still not sure where to begin. Here are the requirments I've been looking at. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Also, any guides you could point me to in how to check for compatability and/or how to begin assembling components would be greatly appreciated as well.

Thanks

Proposed Budget (Flexible): ~$2,000
CPU: Intel I5/I7?
Motherboard: ????
Ram: 12GB
*Edit* Hard Drive: 256/512Gb SSD
Video Card(s?): ????

zippycorners

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011
+1
Really good choices, DXRick.

The only areas I would differ on are the PSU and the Motherboard.

I prefer modular PSUs, so I'd be willing to spend the extra $30 for that plus the extra efficiency this one boasts:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139010

As far as the Motherboard, I can't say enough good things about this one:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157271
Plus, it's $25 cheaper than the Gigabyte you chose, without losing features.

Also, since his proposed budget is ~$2,000, and you've barely scratched the surface of $1,100, why not suggest a Crucial M4 SSD? The 128GB is in the sweet spot as far as price/size goes, but if you want the extra fast storage, 256GB is worth it if you've got the cash.
EDIT: I just saw that Elementor listed that he wanted a 1Tb SSD for a hard drive. Not happening on your budget, haha. Those things are insanely expensive. But if you get a 128GB or 256GB SSD for your OS and a few choice programs, you'll be really happy. Then you can get a larger HDD for everything else that doesn't require uber-fast speed.

Elementor5

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2011
Thanks for your suggestions guys. Zippy, you were right, I must have been having a brain fart there confusing SSD prices with external drive prices. I updated the original post.