What is the best connection to use?

Hello,

I have recently purchased a Lenovo W520. This has a Core i7 with NVIDIA QUADRO and NVIDIA Optimus. The video ports are VGA and DisplayPort.

My existing monitor is a Planar PX2710MW. It has inputs for VGA, DVI and HDMI. My previous computer had a DVI connection.

I have a VGA cable currently connecting the laptop to the display. Would I get a better picture if I switch to the DisplayPort and convert it to either HDMI or DVI? Would DVI or HDMI work better in this conversion?

I have searched and found a lot of technical comparisons between the interfaces but not a lot on comparing the actual output through a conversion.

I do some gaming but mainly use my computer for productivity, graphing, science, and financial modeling. I spend all day and part of the night on the computer due to work and personal. Anything to make it easier on my old eyes will help.

Thanks so much.
1 answer Last reply
More about what connection
  1. It depends on the monitor. A digital signal should be sharper than the analog equivalent but if the monitor is poor then it might not make a difference.

DVI vs HDMI doesn't really matter. They are both digital signals and the only benefit of HDMI is HDCP (for blu-ray playback). But I don't know if HDCP works with a displayport to HDMI adapter.

It'll cost you under $10 to try it out for yourself (here is one source - http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10246&cs_id=1024608&p_id=6015&seq=1&format=2 )
Ask a new question

Read More

Nvidia Graphics