What is the best connection to use?

OpenSesame

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2011
Hello,

I have recently purchased a Lenovo W520. This has a Core i7 with NVIDIA QUADRO and NVIDIA Optimus. The video ports are VGA and DisplayPort.

My existing monitor is a Planar PX2710MW. It has inputs for VGA, DVI and HDMI. My previous computer had a DVI connection.

I have a VGA cable currently connecting the laptop to the display. Would I get a better picture if I switch to the DisplayPort and convert it to either HDMI or DVI? Would DVI or HDMI work better in this conversion?

I have searched and found a lot of technical comparisons between the interfaces but not a lot on comparing the actual output through a conversion.

I do some gaming but mainly use my computer for productivity, graphing, science, and financial modeling. I spend all day and part of the night on the computer due to work and personal. Anything to make it easier on my old eyes will help.

Thanks so much.

nordlead

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2011
It depends on the monitor. A digital signal should be sharper than the analog equivalent but if the monitor is poor then it might not make a difference.

DVI vs HDMI doesn't really matter. They are both digital signals and the only benefit of HDMI is HDCP (for blu-ray playback). But I don't know if HDCP works with a displayport to HDMI adapter.

It'll cost you under $10 to try it out for yourself (here is one source - http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10246&cs_id=1024608&p_id=6015&seq=1&format=2 )