Marvell ports on EVGA Z77 FTW not seen.

The Marvell ports on Z77 FTW are not seen in the BIOS. Ports displayed in the BIOS are 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5 (Intel ports). The Marvell ports 6, 7 show activated during the brief boot sequence, but after that they cannot be seen in the BIOS, in Device Manager, or in Windows Explorer.

I have the latest 1.12 BIOS (10-8-2012) installed. All drivers on the EVGA CD are installed. Hard disks plugged into the Intel ports work fine, but when these same hard disks are plugged into the Marvell ports nothing shows up.

In the BIOS, the Marvell ports are ‘Enabled’.

I have tried using different SATA cables and different combinations of SATA power. Nothing worked so far. (The same cables work fine in the Intel ports).

Is there something else that is required to get these Marvel ports running? Please help!

Thank you in advance for your replies!

Ubrales

I started with an older BIOS - version 1.02 - same issues with the Marvell ports. Per EVGA's advice I flashed the BIOS to the latest 1.12 version (using the DOS method). The problems persist!

Nothing in the Marvell ports show up in the BIOS. Only the Intel ports 0 through 5 show up in the BIOS - the Marvell ports 6 and 7 do not show up at all!

Yes I will definitely try this and report back.

Thank you for your suggestion! I disabled eSATA in the BIOS - still no joy! The Marvell ports do not show up in the BIOS, not in Device Manager, and not in Windows Explorer.

I will contact EVGA again after I return from the doc on rte. 59 and I-88 - probably around 2 PM.

Thank you for your reply! This is on a different BIOS - BIOS #2 - I experienced the same issues on BIOS #1 and also tried an older BIOS 1.02

Later I will try the third BIOS chip #3

Yes that's what it looks like, and I like to go through all the normal trouble-shooting steps before accepting the verdict. The next would be the replacement board. The fun never ends!

RussK1

Splendid

The EVGA doesn't have the greatest track record.

Ubrales when did you get the board? I assume it was Microcenter... take it back and see if they'll let you exchange it for:

ASRock Extreme 9
ASRock Z77 OC Formula
ASRock Z77 Professional (cheap right now so maybe store credit?)
Asus Maximus IV Extreme
Asus Maximus V Formula
Gigabyte G1 Sniper

...and perhaps the MSI Big Bang?

redeemer

Distinguished

TBH I do not think you will find a solution it is best to RMA or refund, and select another z77 board with a plx chip and other features you want.

Or you can pick up an add-in Sata Controller and keep your EVGA FTW

Yes it was from MicroCenter; on Christmas eve! And I have already clipped the bar code and sent it in to EVGA for the $20 rebate. Tomorrow I will drive over to MicroCenter and evaluate my options.

Update:

First of all let me take this opportunity to sincerely thank all you guys for your contributions!

Here are some of the things I did concurrently:

1. Post on EVGA's Z77 Motherboards Forum. One reply was useful but did not resolve the issue.

2. Made three telephone calls to EVGA tech support. Their tech support is very good but unfortunately they agreed that this is a defective Marvell controller (hardware). EVGA has agreed to replace the board if MicroCenter does not replace it for any reason (missing UPC label).

My concern is that if I replace the board I will need to activate Windows 7 Pro via telephone call to Microsoft. I did this when I upgraded my X58 board to an X58 Classified board. What happens if the replacement board is also defective?

Another option is to bite the bullet and use the board as-is.

A third option is to do nothing for about 3 months, and then obtain a replacement of the board from EVGA and hope for a better functioning board along with newer BIOS.

It's time for a single malt!

RussK1

Splendid
Don't activate Windows until you're sure it functions. Windows will still work you'll just get the annoyig popups.

My opinion is that you paid for a board (expensive too) and you didn't get what you paid for. Therefore deserve a replacement.

Unfortunately, I forgot about the 30-day activation period and went ahead and activated Windows 7 Pro.

And yes I agree; I should get the board replaced. If not, it will play on my mind, and besides, I need the two Marvell (or any) ports in order to use the front bay HDD (or SSD) hot swap feature on the HAF X case.