Sign in with
Your question

Computer switches on then off immediately

Last response: in CPUs
March 13, 2012 7:31:20 PM

When I switch on my computer the processor fan spins for about 2 seconds, then it just stops. I have tried every plug in my house, and it will sometimes work on a plug then on that same plug it wont work. Took it to a computer shop, and they plugged it in worked perfectly as soon as I get home does not work only sometimes, just as I think its right then it will not switch on. Could it possible be my power supply or motherboard?

a b à CPUs
March 13, 2012 7:53:23 PM

If it worked properly at the computer repair shop, you have a problem with your home circuits. You could try a high-end surge protector or an Uninterruptable Power Supply (UPS).
March 13, 2012 8:07:49 PM

I have a UPS, but it does not help. It has been working for just over a year now, and only now it has done this. I had the UPS plugged in then the electricity went off before I could switch the computer off, and the UPS did not do its job because my cpu went off when that happened. Ever since then it has not worked, but every other appliance in my house is working perfectly.
Related resources
March 13, 2012 8:35:32 PM

It could just be something sparatic, might be time to look at trying out a new psu. Seems unlikely that it is a home power proble, i would see if you can try it one other location besides your house and see if you get any results like that.
March 13, 2012 8:43:30 PM

I went to my neighbours house it worked on one plug but not the other. Getting a new PSU sounds like a good idea.
a c 135 à CPUs
March 14, 2012 1:28:04 PM

It is possible that the voltage reaching your house is low. That may require an electrician to verify, although your power company should be willing to perform at least some initial testing at no (or limited) cost.
A higher-quality PSU may compensate for this. You want one with full range active PFC (will have NO little voltage switch). A quality modern PSU also has some level of 80+ certification for efficiency. Seasonic, Antec, Corsair, XFX, and Enermax/LEPA are among the better brands.
March 14, 2012 2:21:32 PM

Could very well be low voltage.I will definitely check for the active PFC and the 80+ certification thanks alot :) 
!