Sign in with
Your question

TN or IPS monitor for Gaming? Plus bonus question.

Last response: in Systems
December 8, 2011 7:51:41 PM

Hello everyone. First I would like to thank you for any future comments, advice and lectures. :lol: 

I will be building a new computer as soon as the new AMD Radeon 7000 cards come out. I can spend about $2,000 on components and will be using this computer for mainly games, internet, Media Center and word docs.

What I would like to do is have a set up with TWO 27" monitors; one for the gaming and one for internet at the same time. I also would like to have a 1920x1200 resolution with IPS monitors. My dilemma is that I see that TN gaming monitors have a response time of 2ms but they do not have a high resolution. IPS monitors have the resolution but a response time of 6-8ms. So when someone says great monitors for gaming, I check out that monitor and the resolution only goes to 1920x1080 "recommended".

Am I missing something or am I getting information mixed up which is a big possibility? :(  I can spend about $500-$600 on each monitor.

My ultimate set up will be the $2,000 computer, two 27"monitors and hooking up a 46" TV, a receiver (Denon AVR 1912 or Pioneer VSX-1021-K), a Blue Ray player (?) and 5.1 speakers (Energy Take Classic 5.1). If I can do all that from the computer.

I have not bought anything yet, doing lots of homework first.
So, my question is:

1. What kind of monitor am I looking for with a resolution of 1920x1200 and a fast response time?

Bonus Question: :bounce: 

2. How do I hook all that up?

I know a little on this stuff but am not really savvy on the wording or abbreviations, so if possible looonnng explanations are appreciated.

:lol: 

Thank you very much for your time. Happy Holidays to you all. Any questions that may help in advice, let me know. :hello: 
a b C Monitor
December 8, 2011 8:00:39 PM

TN panel is perfect for gaming, larger panel size and faster response time for cheaper
m
l
a c 122 B Homebuilt system
a b C Monitor
December 8, 2011 8:11:07 PM

1. TN faster and cheaper. IPS better color. 1920x1200 monitors are getting rare. I think Dell still sells one. Everyone is going to 1920X1080 - less expensive.

2. In case this is your first build:
Build it yourself:
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/274745-13-step-step...

And although this primarily a troubleshooting thread, the first part contains a checklist that will catch most noob mistakes:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-read-postin...

Connecting computer to monitors and TV will depend on matching cables to the connectors on the video card. With 2 monitors and a TV, AMD cards will give you more options.

Multichannel audio: use the optical S/PDIF connector.
m
l
December 8, 2011 8:38:50 PM

IPS is much better quality and viewing angle. For me, the response time is fast enough and I don't see any disadvantage for gaming.
m
l
!