TN or IPS monitor for Gaming? Plus bonus question.

Hello everyone. First I would like to thank you for any future comments, advice and lectures. :lol:

I will be building a new computer as soon as the new AMD Radeon 7000 cards come out. I can spend about $2,000 on components and will be using this computer for mainly games, internet, Media Center and word docs.

What I would like to do is have a set up with TWO 27" monitors; one for the gaming and one for internet at the same time. I also would like to have a 1920x1200 resolution with IPS monitors. My dilemma is that I see that TN gaming monitors have a response time of 2ms but they do not have a high resolution. IPS monitors have the resolution but a response time of 6-8ms. So when someone says great monitors for gaming, I check out that monitor and the resolution only goes to 1920x1080 "recommended".

Am I missing something or am I getting information mixed up which is a big possibility? :( I can spend about $500-$600 on each monitor.

My ultimate set up will be the $2,000 computer, two 27"monitors and hooking up a 46" TV, a receiver (Denon AVR 1912 or Pioneer VSX-1021-K), a Blue Ray player (?) and 5.1 speakers (Energy Take Classic 5.1). If I can do all that from the computer.

I have not bought anything yet, doing lots of homework first.
So, my question is:

1. What kind of monitor am I looking for with a resolution of 1920x1200 and a fast response time?

Bonus Question: :bounce:

2. How do I hook all that up?

I know a little on this stuff but am not really savvy on the wording or abbreviations, so if possible looonnng explanations are appreciated.

:lol:

Thank you very much for your time. Happy Holidays to you all. Any questions that may help in advice, let me know. :hello:
3 answers Last reply
More about monitor gaming bonus question
  1. TN panel is perfect for gaming, larger panel size and faster response time for cheaper
  2. 1. TN faster and cheaper. IPS better color. 1920x1200 monitors are getting rare. I think Dell still sells one. Everyone is going to 1920X1080 - less expensive.

2. In case this is your first build:
    Build it yourself:
    http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/274745-13-step-step-guide-building

And although this primarily a troubleshooting thread, the first part contains a checklist that will catch most noob mistakes:
    http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-read-posting-boot-problems

Connecting computer to monitors and TV will depend on matching cables to the connectors on the video card. With 2 monitors and a TV, AMD cards will give you more options.

Multichannel audio: use the optical S/PDIF connector.
  3. IPS is much better quality and viewing angle. For me, the response time is fast enough and I don't see any disadvantage for gaming.
Ask a new question

Read More

Homebuilt Gaming Monitors Systems