Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Win 7 64 bit vs XP 64 bit

Last response: in Systems
December 8, 2011 8:33:36 PM

I built a new computer with a six core AMD Phenom II, Biostar mobo with 8 gig RAM. I loaded Win 7 as the new operating system. I soon discovered that two of my programs (Autocad 2004 and 2007) aren't compatible with Win 7. They are compatible with Win XP 32 bit, which is my previous operating system on a different computer. If I change from Win 7 to XP 64 bit on the new build, will it have any negative effect on the 8 gig of RAM (i.e. will it still "see" 8 gig of RAM.) I know that XP 32 bit maxed out at 3.3 gig, and I don't want to lose 4.7 gig of RAM due to the operating system.

Unfortunately, I use Autocad in my work, so this answer is critical to the way I go. THe build in can not be finished until then.

Thanks in advance.

More about : win bit bit

December 8, 2011 8:48:38 PM

should still see the ram, but win xp 64 bit has horrible driver support from everything I've ever seen... why don't you try running the programs in "xp mode" right click on the icon click properties... you will see some compatibility settings which may work out for you
December 8, 2011 8:49:41 PM

XP 64-bit will be able to use more than 4gb of RAM just like 7 64-bit does. I used to be a XP 64-bit user so I know this for sure.
Related resources

Best solution

December 8, 2011 8:54:58 PM

looking at this http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/AutoCAD-2004-2005-Archive... it seems acad 2004 works fine in windows 7 x64 without having to change settings...

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itpr... <-- this one confirms acad 7 works fine after install of .net framework
December 9, 2011 2:31:14 AM

Best answer selected by engprosinc.
December 9, 2011 2:35:14 AM

I am getting both Autocad 2004 and 2007 to work with W7. However, I have a program that operates inside Autocad called EZDraft 2000. I can get this to load but I can't get it to work (configure). Unfortunately, I can't find any support for EZDraft 2000, so I don't know what to do. It did work when I was running W XP 32 bit, but not with W7 64 bit. I am wondering if it will work with W XP 64 bit, because if it will, I will change the operating system ASAP.
Thanks for your feedback.
December 9, 2011 2:54:29 PM

I would recommend if you can upgrade to professional or ultimate as they support "windows xp mode" which is essentially a seamless virtualization of a windows xp environment. This will allow programs that don't run in "xp compatibility mode" to work properly. It is aimed at businesses with custom solutions in place that require windows xp... You should be able to do the "anytime upgrade" with microsoft to switch to it without reinstalling windows.
December 9, 2011 3:40:06 PM

I have loaded Win 7 Home Premium 64 bit. Do you mean upgrade to Win 7 Professional or Ultimate via the anytime upgrade?
Thanks for your reply. I do appreciate it.
And I thought making a conversion to a build with new mobo and operating system would be a piece of cake....
December 9, 2011 3:49:51 PM

yeah the anytime upgrade within windows... should be able to find it on the start bar. The preofessional, enterprise, and ultimate versions support windows xp mode which is different than compatibility (it basically puts xp sp 3 in a virtual machine on your box and integrates into the OS so it's not like running a VM)
December 9, 2011 3:54:40 PM

Of the three versions, which one would you recommend that I upgrade to?
Thanks so much. I hope I can return the favor some day. You've really been a help.
Merry Christmas
December 9, 2011 3:58:49 PM

whichever is cheapest unless you need bitlocker encryption or something silly like that... in which case ultimate... I'm pretty sure pro is cheaper and will do what you need

thank you and merry Christmas to you too

Also the beauty of this setup is as long as you get everything working great since it's the pro version it's "End of Life" isn't until 2020
December 9, 2011 7:20:10 PM

Again, thanks for your time and feedback. I will upgrade and post the findings.
!