Sign in with
Your question

Disk Drives not reading any CD/DVD at all

Last response: in Components
March 13, 2012 8:52:21 PM

I have a computer running windows xp and both IDE disk drives (one is Creative and can only read, the other one is LG and is able to read and burn) won't read anything. They both appear on Bios Boot device selection, they both appear in Windows Explorer, but when I insert some disk on any of them, just nothing happens, as if they were empty. The green light is active for five seconds and then goes off. Since the same thing is happening with both drives, the LG one relatively recent, I am inclined to think that this is not an hardware issue, lasers malfunctioning or so, but perhaps software related. On Device Manager, both drives appear and the system indicates they are functioning properly. The drivers are updated, I've already been in microsoft's website searching for a solution but nothing seems to apply. I've already opened the computer and checked if the cables are properly connected. I just can't remember of anything else that might be affecting the drives. I've read about some programmes that may mess with this, I've installed Mp3Ripper to extract some songs from a music CD but the drive worked for some time after that. I've run the Microsoft Fix It solution, I've also tried to uninstall and reinstall the drives in Device Manager, I had no upper and lower filters on registry at all to erase, I have checked IDE cables, jumper settings, please I don't know what else to try. Any help on this issue would be very much appreciated. Thanks.
March 13, 2012 10:24:58 PM

Replace them. It sounds like they're well past their use by date. You can pick up a brand new DVD burner which read and writes all CDs and DVDs for around £20.
March 13, 2012 11:36:25 PM

remove and try detect new material in control panel under peripheral
!